Christmas party season unofficially kicked off last week so it’s worth pointing out to AEC business owners and marketing directors that you have less than two weeks to execute your Christmas and New Year campaigns. This is the ideal time to share key activities and achievements (case studies) from the past year and, more importantly, to give an overview of the company’s plans and pipeline for 2020.
If you haven’t already put together a campaign, contact me directly on Carol@PropertyDistrict.ie or any of team at Property District. We can assist you through our C-Suite Advisory Services or by training your existing marketing function to incorporate New Media in your PR & Communications strategy with a shared focus on brand awareness, Irish and/or UK lead generation and pre-qual & tendering.
Before we get stuck into the general property news of the week, below are a few local and international stories that might be of particular interest:
- Dublin Residential & Affordable Housing Review:
HOW WILL DUBLIN’S RESIDENTIAL LANDSCAPE TRANSFORM IN 2020?
- Let’s re-think housing and ageing for older people https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/comment/comment/lets-re-think-housing-and-ageing-for-older-people-58148
- Some bright spots for Government on housing issue https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/some-bright-spots-for-government-on-housing-issue-1.4081490?mode=amp
- 2020 Real Estate Outlook: Expert Predictions For Mortgage Rates, Home Prices, Tech And More https://www.forbes.com/sites/alyyale/2019/11/15/2020-housing-outlook-expert-predictions-for-mortgage-rates-home-prices-tech-and-more/#35ed55142935
- Why Top Investors ‘Load Up’ On REITs In 2019 https://seekingalpha.com/article/4303687-top-investors-load-up-reits-2019
- LEAN BIM Building Information Modelling
– with thanks to Ralph Montague of ArcDox
- 13 Mind-Blowing Things Artificial Intelligence Can Already Do Today https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2019/11/11/13-mind-blowing-things-artificial-intelligence-can-already-do-today/#760d7e0b6502
- Plans for a €500 million wastewater treatment plant in north Dublin have been given the go ahead by An Bord Pleanála.
The facility, which local residents labelled a “monster sewage plant”, provoked more than 14,000 objections.
- What’s the difference between a high street and online estate agency? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/whats-the-difference-between-a-high-street-and-online-estate-agency-28dqswk8p
- Some Sunday viewing: Dublin’s Georgian Housing https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/1108/918384-dublins-georgian-housing/
- Townmore creates 90 New Jobs as company rebrands: ‘Godley’s move to Townmore, following three decades in senior management roles for tier 1 contractors on large scale projects (€100m+) is a strong signal of Townmore’s ambition for the company.’ | Ireland’s Leading Construction News & Information Portal https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2019/11/13/townmore-creates-90-new-jobs-as-company-rebrands/
- The Hive’s Alive | BIMIreland.ie | Ireland’s Only Dedicated BIM Exclusive Resource http://www.bimireland.ie/2019/11/15/the-hives-alive/ (image below)
If you missed last week’s round-up, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing email@example.com.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
Property Matters: Ireland’s First Weekly Property Radio Show (& Podcast!):
Ireland’s first weekly property radio show, Property Matters, launched In January 2019 on Dublin South FM 93.9 and is now available internationally via iTunes and Spotify podcast (www.iPropertyRadio.com). Seasoned political broadcaster, Bryan Fox, and I (Carol Tallon) team up to deliver 60 minutes of industry chat with guests from the areas of planning, construction, property and proptech. Produced by Katie Tallon of Hear Me Roar Media.
In the Property Matters studio this week
Richard Collins, CEO of Walfrid Private and estate agent Owen Reilly talk about the current market, property training, proptech solutions and the future of estate agency in Ireland.
*Listen back to all #PropertyMatters episodes here: https://anchor.fm/ipropertyradio
Email the Property Matters team at hello@iPropertyRadio.com
Also: All About the #BedroomTax – ‘Jerry O’Sullivan chats to Carol Tallon’ November 15th, 2019 | Radio Kerry
Listen back here: https://www.radiokerry.ie/bedroom-tax-november-15th-2019/
PUBLIC CONSULTATION AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
- A scary glimpse of Cork in 30 years https://www.echolive.ie/corklives/A-scary-glimpse-of-Cork-in-30-years-cde61e33-76c9-48a2-b358-6ae9a08f2911-ds
- UK company outlines plans for new hotel and co-living development in Dublin’s Liberties https://www.thejournal.ie/liberties-co-living-development-plans-4886797-Nov2019/
- Fishermen unite to resist vast windfarm https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/fishermen-unite-to-resist-vast-windfarm-962966.html
- Carmelites quit Delgany convent with €15m off-market sale https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/carmelites-quit-delgany-convent-with-15m-off-market-sale-1.4081768?mode=amp
- Tallaght wetlands boardwalk plan shelved after damage at site https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/tallaght-wetlands-boardwalk-plan-shelved-after-damage-at-site-1.4079107?mode=amp
- Some Residents Have Ideas for Local #Metrolink Station – They Just Wish TII Would Listen https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/11/13/some-residents-have-ideas-for-local-metrolink-station-they-just-wish-tii-would-listen
- Plan to ‘stamp out spurious objections to construction’ – Minister – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/plan-to-stamp-out-spurious-objections-to-construction-minister-38691196.html
- Six rural towns were given €100k to try rejuvenate their town centres. Here’s how they’re getting on #placemaking #rebuildingireland https://www.thejournal.ie/rural-towns-redevelopment-4892729-Nov2019/
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – Property developers and project owners ready Public Consultation are encouraged to contact the PLACEengage team for full details*
OTHER PROPERTY NEWS
- In the Sunday Independent today: A shared home ownership scheme, where the Government takes a stake in a person’s new home to reduce the purchase price, would be a priority of Fianna Fail in Government, said party leader Micheal Martin:
- The lead industry story in the business section of the Sunday Independent: Shannon Group plans €10m sale of Limerick industrial site: Shannon Group, an umbrella organisation focused on delivering economic benefits to the Shannon and Limerick areas, is set to sell 227 acres of land, potentially worth €10m, in Co Limerick – Independent.ie https://amp.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/shannon-group-plans-10m-sale-of-limerick-industrial-site-38698756.html
- Housing becomes top priority for Irish voters: Housing has overtaken healthcare as the No 1 concern for voters ahead of the general election set to be held in the first half of next year, a new poll for The Sunday Times has found. “Two out of three voters say their concerns about homelessness, a lack of social housing, house prices and rental costs will be a key influence on how they vote in the 2020 general election, the latest Behaviour & Attitudes survey for the paper reveals” according to Stephen O’Brien, writing in The Sunday Times today
- Care homes in High Court fight over commercial rates: “Several nursing homes have come together to take a High Court case to fight commercial rates imposed on their buildings.
The nursing home sector has previously said it could secure up to €100m in repayments for residents if it could successfully challenge the legality of commercial rates imposed on private nursing homes by local authorities.” https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/care-homes-in-high-court-fight-over-commercial-rates-tbtzs2sc3
- Martin Giblin, a senior counsel, is taking High Court action against a developer and the company behind Kilronan Castle hotel in Roscommon for allegedly breaching planning rules, writes Mark Tighe in The Sunday Times today.
In court filings, Giblin says he and his wife bought one of 60 holiday homes in the Kilronan holiday village. As part of the purchase agreement, the homes were to be rented to short-term guests by the hotel, which was then controlled by developer Alan Hanly, who would share the income with the property owners:
- “Irish mortgage defaults remain above the European average — even for loans granted since 2015, following the imposition of strict credit rules — according to Ed Sibley, deputy governor of the Central Bank of Ireland.
He told a banking conference last week that lending remained more risky in Ireland than elsewhere, even for new mortgages given after the credit bubble.”
- Jonathan Laredo said “the Woodford” effect was a much bigger issue for Yew Grove than Brexit or recent government changes to stamp duty on commercial property. He said the €83m-valued company was increasingly focusing on European investors because of the fallout in the UK from the Woodford collapse.
- Great news about Iconic Offices, the Irish serviced office business that has opened in 15 locations in Dublin, made €2.9m pre-tax profit last year.
Profits at the company increased more than fourfold from 2017, when it made almost €727,000 before tax. The addition of extra locations and new lease deals also boosted cash balances at the business to €5.9m at the end of 2018:
- Also in the Times today: Ires Reit has agreed a 20-year lease for Hibernia Reit’s South Dock House, €600,000pa; Hooke & McDonald bosses bring home €3.7m in pay last year; Niall Gunne strengthens JLL Investment team – Property District | Irish Property Services https://propertydistrict.ie/niall-gunne-strengthens-jll-investment-team/
- Property regulator targets ‘ghost bidding’ with new rules and fines: Estate agents will soon face fines of up to €250,000 if they breach new legally binding rules to immediately inform clients of conflicts of interest BusinessPost.ie https://www.businesspost.ie/news/property-regulator-targets-ghost-bidding-new-rules-fines-457174
- Hibernia Reit boss: WeWork problems not hurting market – Hibernia was reportedly in talks with WeWork for the American company to lease two of its high-profile buildings in the Dublin docklands BusinessPost.ie https://www.businesspost.ie/business/hibernia-reit-boss-wework-problems-not-hurting-market-45717
- Also in The Sunday Business Post today, Roisin Burke reports that nursing home operator TLC has agreed to acquire the K Club for €55 million; the Department of Public Expenditure is considering putting together an independent panel of experts to vet large public capital projects over €100m; there a round-up of the CIF Health & Safety Summit, which took place last week in Croke Park.
- What’s the average monthly price of rent in Ireland? It’s the week in numbers https://www.thejournal.ie/average-rent-week-in-numbers-4892792-Nov2019/
- Could a rent freeze work in Ireland – and what effect would it have? https://www.thejournal.ie/should-a-rent-freeze-be-introduced-in-ireland-4887837-Nov2019/
- House price growth slows to 1.1% as increased supply cools market https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/house-price-growth-slows-to-1-1-as-increased-supply-cools-market-1.4082813?mode=amp
- KBC chief chides Central Bank for ‘annoying’ focus on tracker mortgage scandal – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/kbc-chief-chides-central-bank-for-annoying-focus-on-tracker-mortgage-scandal-38691481.html
- As price growth slows, new fears haunt housing market https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/columnists/as-price-growth-slows-new-fears-haunt-housing-market-964282.html
- Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy claims rent freezes are ‘dangerous’ https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/eoghan-murphy-rent-freezes-housing-17253423
- Can I gift my daughter cash for her house deposit without being taxed? Liam Croke lets you know https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/493034/can-i-gift-my-daughter-cash-for-her-house-deposit-without-being-taxed-liam-croke-lets-you-know.html
- Housing and decentralisation https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/housing-and-decentralisation-1.4078226?mode=amp
- Dublin Cllr: City manager ‘subservient’ to Minster as toll and parking charges set to rise https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-cllr-city-manager-subservient-to-minster-as-toll-and-parking-charges-set-to-rise-963305.html
- New mortgage lending to overtake repayments for first time since crisis https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/new-mortgage-lending-to-overtake-repayments-for-first-time-since-crisis-1.4079145?mode=amp
- Dublin ‘desperately needs’ more hotels, says tourism body chief https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-hotels-dublin-tourism-travel-wild-atlantic-way-4886747-Nov2019/
- Local action group to monitor Moycullen social housing https://connachttribune.ie/local-action-group-to-monitor-moycullen-social-housing-500/
- Reports urge provision of social and affordable housing https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1114/1090760-national-family-homeless-strategy/
- WeWork losses widen to $1.25 billion amid record growth https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1114/1090803-wework-quarterly-results/
- Housing market not overvalued, says ESRI https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1113/1090537-esri-housing-research/
- Hibernia Reit: HALF YEARLY FINANCIAL REPORT – Property District | Irish Property Services https://propertydistrict.ie/hibernia-reit-half-yearly-financial-report/
- Budget 2020 dealt a €1bn hit to Irish property – Nowlan – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/budget-2020-dealt-a-1bn-hit-to-irish-property-nowlan-38687586.html
- Green Reit’s €1.34bn sale to UK firm Henderson Park complete – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/business/world/green-reits-1-34bn-sale-to-uk-firm-henderson-park-complete-38693708.html
- Construction activity falls at sharpest rate since June 2013 – survey https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/construction-activity-falls-at-sharpest-rate-since-june-2013-survey-1.4078450?mode=amp
- Construction work hits six-year low https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/construction-work-hits-six-year-low-962988.html
- IDA pays €10m for Kildare site suited to ‘mega-client’ investor https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ida-pays-10m-for-kildare-site-suited-to-mega-client-investor-1.4080995?mode=amp
- JD Wetherspoon acquires Grand Canal Dock pub https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/jd-wetherspoon-acquires-grand-canal-dock-pub-1.4079127?mode=amp
- Iconic south Dublin pub set for redevelopment after being sold for €3m https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/uncle-toms-cabin-dundrum-sold-17266573
- Record-breaking piles pass load tests https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/record-breaking-piles-pass-load-tests
THE AGILE AGENT
GETTING IRELAND’S PROPERTY MARKETPLACE DIGITAL BY DEFAULT
The Agile Agent is a 12-month digital transformation programme for independent Irish estate agents and auctioneers, which runs from September – August. This programme will be delivered by a multi-disciplinary Irish and UK team and will go beyond proptech adoption to help agents get their industry digital by default.
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
PROPTECH AND CONSTRUCTION INNOVATION
- From smart design and planning right through to the smart property transaction, where does your Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business sit? Pease take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP HERE: *PROPTECH INNOVATORS and STARTUPS *
- PropTech week in Helsinki in November – PropTech Ireland https://prop-tech.ie/proptech-week-in-helsinki-in-november/
- PROPERTY GURU ASIA REAL ESTATE SUMMIT TAKES PLACE THIS WEEK – PropTech Ireland https://prop-tech.ie/property-guru-asia-real-estate-summit-takes-place-this-week/
- The Evolution of Bricklaying Robots: Changing the Rules of Traditional Construction https://www.archdaily.com/928440/the-evolution-of-bricklaying-robots-changing-the-rules-of-traditional-construction (image above)
- Check out the list of all live tender projects on Unissu right now… #proptech #smartbuilding
- Tech in Asia – Connecting Asia’s startup ecosystem https://www.techinasia.com/beyond-ventures-leads-3m-round-mapxus
- As Investments In PropTech Rise, VCs And Investors Bet $1.7B That The Gamble Is Worth It https://www.bisnow.com/los-angeles/news/technology/as-investments-in-proptech-rises-for-vcs-and-investors-the-gamble-is-worth-the-risk-101714
- VTS Acquires Software Platform for Retail Landlords – Connect Media Commercial Real Estate News https://www.connect.media/vts-acquires-software-platform-for-retail-landlords/?utm_campaign=PostBeyond&utm_medium=%23248266&utm_source=Twitter&utm_term=VTS+IN+THE+NEWS+%7C+VTS+Acquires+Software+Platform+for+Retail+Landlords
- #StartupLife3: This Is How PropTech Founders Took The Leap Into Startup Life! https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelicakrystledonati/2019/03/07/startuplife3-this-is-how-proptech-founders-took-the-leap-into-startup-life/amp/
- Key Takeaways From This Year’s MIPIM Proptech Conference – Commercial Observer https://commercialobserver.com/2019/11/key-takeaways-from-this-years-mipim-proptech-conference/
- What #AI startups need to achieve before VCs will invest – TechCrunch https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/13/what-ai-startups-need-to-achieve-before-vcs-will-invest/
- Where top VCs are investing in real estate and proptech (Part 1 of 2) – TechCrunch https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/14/where-top-vcs-are-investing-in-real-estate-and-proptech-part-1-of-2/
- Where top VCs are investing in real estate and proptech (Part 2 of 2) | TechCrunch https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/14/where-top-vcs-are-investing-in-real-estate-and-proptech-part-2-of-2/
- Proptech growth secures key executive for Leadhome | IOL Business Report https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/companies/proptech-growth-secures-key-executive-for-leadhome-37033776
- Is GuestReady the UK’s most successful proptech platform? https://thenegotiator.co.uk/guest-ready-growth/
- SolidBlock Receives Investment From BuiltUp Ventures
- PlaceTech | KPMG: Majority of propcos yet to draw up digital strategy https://placetech.net/analysis/kpmg-majority-of-propcos-yet-to-draw-up-digital-strategy/
- MIPIM Proptech NYC: Collaborate, don’t recklessly innovate https://www.egi.co.uk/news/mipim-nyc-collaborate-dont-recklessly-innovate/
- Indonesian proptech startup Travelio bags $18m from Gobi, Temasek’s Pavilion
- London-based property technology startup Plentific raises €29.1 million in Series B funding to accelerate growth | EU-Startups https://www.eu-startups.com/2019/11/london-based-property-technology-startup-plentific-raises-e29-1-million-in-series-b-funding-to-accelerate-growth/
- German #proptech startup Thing-it raises €4.2 million to build the digital brain for smart buildings | EU-Startups https://www.eu-startups.com/2019/11/german-proptech-startup-thing-it-raises-e4-2-million-to-build-the-digital-brain-for-smart-buildings/
- Israeli proptech ShapeDo gets $650,000 from Goldacre after finishing new RElab accelerator programme – Tech.eu https://tech.eu/brief/israeli-proptech-startup-shapedo-gets-650000-from-goldacre-after-finishing-new-relab-accelerator-programme/
- Romanian startup gets EUR 185,000 financing for proptech solution | Romania Insider https://www.romania-insider.com/bright-spaces-financing
NEW FACEBOOK GROUP FOR IRISH PROPERTY BUYERS & INVESTORS
Crowd-sourcing answers topical property questions:
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded in 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
From 2019, the publishers and I want to ensure the content remains topical and we are doing this by crowd-sourcing home buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/