Good afternoon folks, if you missed last week’s Sunday Property Round-Up, which was full of industry and tech/innovation news, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
Before we get stuck into the general property news of the week, below are three stories that might be of particular interest…
- While this particular headline is quite unfair, the report on housing options for our aging population was one of the most important industry news stories of the week: Fine Gael accused of ‘terrifying’ older people with home downsizing plans https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/fine-gael-accused-of-terrifying-older-people-with-home-downsizing-plans-37863911.html
On this story Eilis O’Hanlon writes in the Sunday Independent that “Casting older people as the source of all problems is no solution”. Again this is somewhat missing that point that, for a variety of reasons, we have an aging demographic and a higher proportion of all people (including elderly people) are in rental accommodation or unsuitable living conditions, therefore, it is only prudent for the State to start planning and preparing for this.
- Concrete: the most destructive material on Earth | Cities | The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/25/concrete-the-most-destructive-material-on-earth
- Urban Legends: The 20 Cities Looking to Slash Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 2050: https://www.kingspan.com/group/news/news/urban-legends-the-20-cities-looking-to-slash-gree
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing email@example.com.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
Sunday Listen: #PropertyMatters Tuesdays 6-7pm
Ireland’s first weekly property radio show, Property Matters, launched In January on Dublin South FM 93.9 and is now available internationally via iTunes and Spotify podcast (@iPropertyRadio). Seasoned political journalist and broadcaster, Bryan Fox, and I (Carol Tallon) team up to deliver 60 minutes of industry chat with guests from the areas of planning, construction and property.
This week we had the TY students from Newpark Comprehensive in to chat about their Property Economics course and why the so-called experts don’t hold all the answers to solving Ireland’s housing crisis. Also, Patrick Folan of nationwide auction house I-AM Sold, Andrew Farrell of Block Angel and Gavin Gallagher of Proptech TV joined us to discuss all things property and proptech!
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- The next big event to look forward to is the Women in Property and Construction Ireland (WPCI) ‘Dublin Rising’ on 7th March with Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy– full details here: http://www.constructionnetworkireland.com/events/wpci-present-dublin-rising/
- 100 properties face the wrecking ball to make way for MetroLink https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/100-properties-face-the-wrecking-ball-to-make-way-for-metrolink-1.3807113?mode=amp
- ‘We are growing and rapidly’ – Ireland’s latest town looking for city status https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/we-are-growing-and-rapidly-irelands-latest-town-looking-for-city-status-37858675.html
- And Drogheda puts pressure on Varadkar to declare it Ireland’s next city https://www.thejournal.ie/drogheda-puts-pressure-on-varadkar-to-declare-it-a-city-4519909-Mar2019/
- IDA backs Cork City bus lanes as ‘key requisite’ https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ida-backs-cork-city-bus-lanes-as-key-requisite-906920.html
- BREAKING – Kilkenny solar farm refused planning permission https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/366203/breaking-kilkenny-solar-farm-refused-planning-permission.html
- ‘The site isn’t attractive,’ concerns expressed over future of former Braun plant in Carlow https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/366301/the-site-isn-t-attractive-concerns-expressed-over-future-of-former-braun-plant-in-carlow.html
- Minister Eoghan Murphy visits Ballina Military Barracks, where Digital & Innovation Hub is to be developed http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/29652-minister-eoghan-murphy-visits-ballina-military-barracks-where-digital-innovation-hub-is-to-be-developed
- Apartments plan for Dulux factory site in Dublin ‘entirely unacceptable’ https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/apartments-plan-for-dulux-factory-site-in-dublin-entirely-unacceptable-1.3811503?mode=amp
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – Property developers and project owners ready Public Consultation are encouraged to contact the PLACEengage teamfor full details*
Other Property News
- The lead business story in the Sunday Independent by Michael Cogley reports that proptech firm Property Bridges (a peer-to-peer lender for small-scale developers) is to lend over 150 million euro for housing projects over the next three years. As it happens, founder David Jelly will be joining us in studio for Property Matters on Tuesday evening, be sure to listen in, details at www.ipropertyradio.com
- The same journalist reports on industry backlash to proposals to increase the social housing provision/Part V by private developers from the current 10% to somewhere between 20-30% (Sinn Fein is looking for 30% in SDZs). CIF are obviously and thankfully lobbying against this on the basis that it would be an economic deterrent to much-needed development.
- DCU and DIT are set to benefit from 500 new student beds on the northside of the city, this is the latest clustering of student beds (also Stillorgan, close to UCD), despite local opposition.
- Gavin Daly writes in The Sunday Times that Google is on the hunt for even more office space in Dublin, this time in the south suburbs for up to 700 employees.
- The same journalist reports that Oakmount (Paddy McKillen Jnr and Matt Ryan) has lodged plans for almost 300 apartments in Blackrock. The 80 million euro development is expected to be made up of 14 eight-storey blocks.
- One of the lead stories in The Sunday Business Post today, by Michael Brennan, reports of ‘Pressure mounting as construction workers lodge 12% pay claim’. The CIF oppose this demand.
- Also in the SBP, Ian Guider writes that “the extension of the state’s help-to-buy scheme is facing another blow with the Central Bank understood to have concerns that it is now effectively acting as a subsidy to builders’. Firstly, yes, this is a supply-side initiative and should never have been marketed as anything else. Secondly, it was, and remains, necessary to incentivise development in less favourable parts of the country, and thirdy, continuing uncertainty about whether or not this scheme will be extended is causing causing a problem for first-time buyers, which has a knock-on effect on developers.
- A Return to “bungalow blitz”? https://m.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/the-bungalow-is-back-across-ireland-but-they-have-little-in-common-with-their-predecessors-37861001.html
- €800k homes in County Limerick are snapped up months before launch date https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/367190/800k-homes-in-county-limerick-are-snapped-up-months-before-launch-date.html
- Dublin to see first wave of co-living accommodation https://amp.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/dublin-to-see-first-wave-of-coliving-accommodation-37866425.html
- More on co-living in the SBP today, Killian Woods reports that two co-living planning applications (Bartra and Node) have run into difficulties due to “poor standard” and “substandard” accommodation.
- Also in the SBP, on page 12, there is an article about ‘The Silent Landowners’ and the 280 million euro worth of vacant lands around the capital.
- Homeless figures soar to record high as TD calls for Eoghan Murphy to resign https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/politics/homeless-figures-soar-record-high-14063159.amp
- Housing part-financed by water refunds opens in Dublin https://www.rte.ie/amp/1033536/
- Cost of housing is pushing people towards ‘pauperisation’ https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cost-of-housing-is-pushing-people-towards-pauperisation-1.3809688?mode=amp
- An Taoiseach launches 112 new social homes in Dundalk:
- Workers can expect pay to rise 7pc over next two years despite Brexit chaos, says Central Bank https://m.independent.ie/business/brexit/workers-can-expect-pay-to-rise-7pc-over-next-two-years-despite-brexit-chaos-says-central-bank-37859511.html
- Bank of Ireland calls time on Irish mortgage rates cuts https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-calls-time-on-irish-mortgage-rates-cuts-1.3804737?mode=amp
- Subscriber Only: End to falling mortgage rates hard to stomach https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/end-to-falling-mortgage-rates-hard-to-stomach-1.3807445?mode=amp
- Permanent TSB plans to stick to cash back mortgage incentives https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/permanent-tsb-plans-to-stick-to-cash-back-mortgage-incentives-907581.html
- Cabinet to consider Bill to help borrowers in mortgage arrears https://www.thejournal.ie/cabinet-bill-mortgage-arrears-4513308-Feb2019/
- Local Property Tax increases are necessary, economist says https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/local-property-tax-increases-are-necessary-economist-says-907136.html
- Housing aid payment vital for 80,000 families, PAC hears https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/housing-aid-payment-vital-for-80-000-families-pac-hears-1.3810227?mode=amp
- Chimneys set to be a thing of the past for new Limerick Council built homes https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/366640/chimneys-set-to-be-a-thing-of-the-past-for-new-limerick-council-built-homes.html
- Docklands watchdog warns Minister over social housing https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/docklands-watchdog-warns-minister-over-social-housing-1.3804917?mode=amp
- DCC fining itself €1m under vacant sites levy https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0225/1032757-dcc-fining-itself-1m-under-vacant-sites-levy/
- Developer who sold Dublin site for €70m buys it back for €22m-plus https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/developer-who-sold-dublin-site-for-70m-buys-it-back-for-22m-plus-1.3804789?mode=amp
- Developers in Cork seek to increase new residential and student accommodation schemes https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/developers-in-cork-seek-to-increase-new-residential-and-student-accommodation-schemes-907005.html
- Dublin site for planned business park on market at €11.9m https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/dublin-site-for-planned-business-park-on-market-at-11-9m-1.3804833?mode=amp
- Dublin is now Europe’s largest data hosting cluster https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/dublin-is-now-europe-s-largest-data-hosting-cluster-1.3808500?mode=amp
- ‘Scandalous’ Govt agents got NCH estimates so wrong https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0228/1033383-politics/
- Carlow school buildings to be finished by this Summer https://kclr96fm.com/carlow-school-buildings-to-be-finished-by-this-summer/
Agile Agent – Digital Transformation for Independent Estate Agents
Q2 Programme updates here:
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- Are you an Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business? If so, please take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORSand to keep up-to-date on all things tech and innovation for the planning, construction and property industries, head over to http://www.prop-tech.ie. Also, we are on a mission to get every Irish construction and property technology business registered on the global proptech database UNISSU. More details here:https://prop-tech.ie/global-proptech-data-platform-unissu-com-is-launched/
- This (pictured!) is one of the first stages in Belfast becoming a smart city. The modern telephone box that offers free phone calls, WiFi, maps, phone charging and latest city information have been installed across the city and are funded by real time advertising panels #smartcities #belfast #technology
- Our Frictionless Future | Propmodo https://www.propmodo.com/our-frictionless-future/
- Global PropTech Funding in 2018 https://www.unissu.com/proptech-resources/global-proptech-funding-in-2018
- PropTech Today: Purplebricks’ lack of collaboration to blame for recent troubles
- Meet this new Australian property tech startup that is killing the real estate agent- http://anthillonline.com/meet-this-new-australian-property-tech-startup-that-is-killing-the-real-estate-agent/
- PropTech is the way to safeguard High Street branches – Connells: https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/2/proptech-is-the-way-to-safeguard-high-street-branches–connells?source=newsticker
- Lowering Barriers, Startup Roofstock Offers Investors Shares of Homes https://thinkrealty.com/lowering-barriers-startup-roofstock-offers-investors-shares-homes/
- Italian proptech startup Casavo raises €7m Series A to accelerate growth across several Italian cities | Silicon Canals https://siliconcanals.nl/news/italian-proptech-startup-casavo-raises-e7m-series-a-to-accelerate-growth-across-several-italian-cities/
- Proptech platform VTS names Gijo Mathew chief product officer | News | Property Week https://www.propertyweek.com/news/proptech-platform-vts-names-gijo-mathew-chief-product-officer/5101507.article
- In brief: Cento Ventures targets SEA proptech startups https://www.techinasia.com/cento-ventures-proptech-fund
- Colliers Proptech Accelerator Powered by Techstars Announces Call for 2019 Applications Nasdaq:CIGI https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/02/26/1742362/0/en/Colliers-Proptech-Accelerator-Powered-by-Techstars-Announces-Call-for-2019-Applications.html
- Node Joins Concrete VC PropTech Residency | Business Up North https://www.businessupnorth.co.uk/node-joins-concrete-vc-proptech-residency/
- Proptech firm to launch new property portal in England and Wales https://thenegotiator.co.uk/proptech-firm-to-launch-new-property-portal-in-england-and-wales/
- New World Development Blockchain Introduced : Real Estate : Business Times http://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/108429/20190228/new-world-development-blockchain-introduced.htm
- Why staff training is key to PropTech success… https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/features/2019/3/why-staff-training-is-key-to-proptech-success
- The tech way to fengshui, SME – THE BUSINESS TIMES https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sme/the-tech-way-to-fengshui
- UK watchdog quizzes Revolut over potential transparency lapse https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/uk-watchdog-quizzes-revolut-over-potential-transparency-lapse-1.3811011?mode=amp
Crowd-sourcing: New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded for 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
For the first time, the 2019 edits will be crowd-sourced and will include home-buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/