The Sunday broadsheets make for incredibly sad reading today, a 16-year old drowned in Louth, a Kilkenny man died in a plane crash on the way to his daughter’s 18th birthday party and that horrifying image of the father and daughter lying in the Rio Grande appears in most of the papers. It puts the property and industry news in a slightly different and, frankly, less important perspective…
If you missed last week’s round-up, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
Before we get stuck into the general property news of the week, below are a few local and international stories that might be of particular interest:
- PlaceTech | How Dublin’s tech boom has changed the city https://placetech.net/analysis/how-dublins-tech-boom-has-changed-the-city/
- Following on from that PlaceTech feature on Dublin’s FDI, one of the lead business stories in the Sunday Independent today (by Michael Cogley) reports that ‘FDI [is] not stoking housing Crisis – [Pat] Breen’.
- It’s difficult to refute this claim (but I strongly disagree with the reasoning): Government has exacerbated housing crisis, says commissioner https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/government-has-exacerbated-housing-crisis-says-commissioner-1.3936154?mode=amp
- Piling and foundations sector moves into reverse: Workloads in the piling and foundations sector have fallen for the first time in years. Is this a sign of trouble ahead?
- The good news: No estate agents were harmed during the making of this film . . . #propertyPR https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/the-good-news-no-estate-agents-were-harmed-during-the-making-of-this-film/
- Dublin disappoints: what happened to city cycling’s great hope? | Cities | The Guardian https://amp.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/25/dublin-disappoints-what-happened-to-city-cyclings-great-hope
- This is a US story but it’s not dissimilar to the likely scenario Ireland will face: Poor retirement planning puts housing catastrophe on horizon https://www.pe.com/2019/06/25/poor-retirement-planning-puts-housing-catastrophe-on-horizon/amp/
- Ikea gets green light to build affordable homes in UK | Ikea | The Guardian https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/26/uk-council-ikea-affordable-housing-worthing-boklok
- Online estate agent first of its kind to offer ‘free’ service https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-7187505/amp/Leading-online-estate-agent-kind-offer-free-charge-service.html
- Leasehold axed for all new houses in move to place fairness at heart of housing market https://www.gov.uk/government/news/leasehold-axed-for-all-new-houses-in-move-to-place-fairness-at-heart-of-housing-market
- A Building For All Senses: The Architects Redefining Aesthetics https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/592849/
- I found this fascinating (you might not): Distinguishing Built Environment from Infrastructure for Urban Resilience: Definitions, Frameworks, and Project vs System
- New RTE show reveals Leixlip farmer Thomas Reid’s ongoing battle with Intel https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/new-rte-show-reveals-leixlip-17279052.amp
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing email@example.com.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
#PropertyMatters Ireland’s First Weekly Property Radio Show (& Podcast!):
Ireland’s first weekly property radio show, Property Matters, launched In January 2019 on Dublin South FM 93.9 and is now available internationally via iTunes and Spotify podcast (@iPropertyRadio). Seasoned political journalist and broadcaster, Bryan Fox, and I (Carol Tallon) team up to deliver 60 minutes of industry chat with guests from the areas of planning, construction, property and proptech. Produced by Katie Tallon of Hear Me Roar Media.
As my smallest dog needed emergency surgery on Tuesday (I genuinely cannot ever remember missing work when my now 20-year old was sick as a child..!), Property District’s Head of New Media and regular guest to the show, Emma Hayes, stepped in to co-host this week’s episode with Bryan Fox .
In addition to a special report on housing conversations that took place in the Dail this week (co-living, first time buyers, affordability and the State’s provision of housing), proposed reform of Owners’ Management Companies was also on the agenda.
Balbriggan resident Kevin Smyth joined us to talk about how members of the local community can get involved in planning and use their voice to shape placemaking in their areas.
Gavin Gallagher from Proptech.TV joined us to talk about how the construction and real estate sectors are moving towards sustainable and low-impact development, and how technology innovation will continue to shape that.
Listen back to this episode here: https://anchor.fm/ipropertyradio/episodes/Property-Matters–June-25th-2019-e4f6mt
Email the Property Matters team at hello@iPropertyRadio.com
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- Video: 25-storey residential tower planned for Cork’s Sextant site https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/25-storey-residential-tower-planned-for-Corks-Sextant-site-c0fe4d56-8f9a-4a04-ad52-b21f6b336ffb-ds
- Joseph O’Connor on Dún Laoghaire: ‘It was like Skegness with nuns’ | Books | The Guardian https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/24/joseph-oconnor-on-dun-laoghaire
- Cork city cycle map for locals and visitors launched https://www.rte.ie/amp/1057254/
- Council says warden will monitor anti-social behaviour as it reopens Dublin Peace Park https://www.thejournal.ie/peace-park-4692626-Jun2019/?amp=1 #placemaking
- How to create a new community: food markets and shipping container pop-ups https://www-telegraph-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/property/uk/create-new-community-food-markets-shipping-container-pop-ups/amp/ #placemaking #communityengagement
- Legal challenge to building by Dartmouth Square residents to be fast-tracked https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/legal-challenge-to-building-by-dartmouth-square-residents-to-be-fast-tracked-1.3936196?mode=amp
- Kaleidoscope is finding its feet at Russborough House | PLACEengage https://placeengage.com/kaleidoscope-is-finding-its-feet-at-russborough-house/
- It’s time to factor remote work into our urban planning https://qz.com/work/1641664/remote-workers-are-the-solution-to-urban-crowding/amp/
- Green light for ‘ugly’ housing development in Limerick village https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/427162/green-light-for-ugly-housing-development-in-limerick-village.html
- Plans for 299 apartments in blocks of up to 9 storeys in Glasnevin rejected after significant local objection https://www.thejournal.ie/glasnevin-apartment-rejected-4700463-Jun2019/?amp=1
- Anger over plan to raze three Cork city centre buildings https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/anger-over-plan-to-raze-three-cork-city-centre-buildings-933642.html
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – Property developers and project owners ready Public Consultation are encouraged to contact the PLACEengage team for full details*
Other Property News
- Lousie McBride has an excellent, insightful look at the Fair Deal scheme on page 6 of the business section of the Independent today: ‘Winners and losers in overhaul of Fair Deal nursing home scheme: Farms and businesses must take care with Fair Deal despite welcome changes’. I won’t go through it all here, however, I definitely recommend that anyone likely to be affected by this, read through all the changes.
- In The Sunday Times today, Colin Coyle reports: High-end homes in a slump: Brexit and vendors with more realistic expectations are blamed for steep decline in Dublin prices’. The article goes on to say that “many houses in the €1m-plus category [are] cutting their sale price by six figures”. Also, the article confirms that 90% of all new properties that sold in the first three months of the year were priced below €500,000.
- Also in The Sunday Times, musician ‘Brendan Begley has lodged an appeal with An Bord Pleanala after he was refused permission for his self-build’ in west Kerry. Several well-known musicians and broadcasters (but not direct neighbours?) have apparently written letters of support to retain the 51sqm home.
- The lead business story in the Times today reports that there are ‘Four bidders for Green Reit buyout: Kennedy Wilson and Irish Life among firm circling property group’. We will keep a watching brief on this potential €1.3bn deal.
- Gavin Daly reports that Denis O’Brien is seeking planning approval to add a further four floors to 1 Grand Canal Quay (former Esat building); ABP approved Donnybrook Partnership’s plans for 94 apartments on Eglinton Road and, separately, Ires Reit has obtained planning approval for a 14-storey tower in Sandyford.
- In The Sunday Business Post today, Tom Maguire writes that ‘It’s time to loosen up the Strict to Buy scheme: The Help to Buy scheme could be doing more to help property buyers on the margins’. He was referring to a buyer who missed out on relief as the contracts were signed 96 hours before the allowable period, which does seem unfair (but where do you draw the line?).
- The property supplement of The Sunday Business Post has an interesting lead feature comparing the cost of housing in Dublin with other European cities, including Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich and Geneva.
- Homes now ‘unaffordable’ in half of counties in State https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/homes-now-unaffordable-in-half-of-counties-in-state-38250548.html
- Wicklow, Meath and Kildare the most unaffordable counties for first-time buyers
Leitrim, Waterford, Sligo, Cavan and Longford most affordable counties:
- Second-hand property prices continue to drop in Dublin https://www.rte.ie/amp/1057171/
- House prices may be falling, but more and more are being excluded from home ownership: ‘Dublin is currently almost twice as expensive for average homes than the big regional cities and four times more expensive than most of our regional towns. It’s far too much’
- It takes first-time buyers in some counties over 15 years to save for a house deposit | JOE.ie https://www.joe.ie/amp/news/first-time-buyers-house-deposit-673677
- ‘Nothing short of a disgrace’: Public slam Murphy over ‘appalling and pathetic’ co-living proposals https://www.thejournal.ie/murphy-criticism-co-living-housing-4699222-Jun2019/
- Housing First services to be rolled out in Wicklow, Meath and Kildare for the first time https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-first-homelessness-kildare-meath-wicklow-4695443-Jun2019/
- ‘Cash buyers only’: The true cost of shoddy boomtime home construction https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/cash-buyers-only-the-true-cost-of-shoddy-boomtime-home-construction-1.3922246?mode=amp
- No extra DCC staff hired to enforce new letting laws https://www.rte.ie/amp/1059001/
- Airbnb Launches New Luxury Service For High-End Properties https://www.inman.com/2019/06/27/airbnb-launches-new-luxury-service-for-high-end-properties/amp/
- Only 26 sites told to pay vacant site levy in Dublin city so far this year https://www.thejournal.ie/vacant-sites-dublin-4690972-Jun2019/?amp=1
- Dublin co-living development refused planning permission https://www.thejournal.ie/co-living-eoghan-murphy-rejected-planning-permission-4695156-Jun2019/?amp=1
- ESRI urges more aggressive site tax to spur housing supply https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/esri-urges-more-aggressive-site-tax-to-spur-housing-supply-1.3931263?mode=amp
- €3m Peer-to-Peer Loan Approved to build over 30 Social Homes | | Irish Building Magazine.ie | Ireland’s Leading Construction News & Information Portal https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2019/06/28/e3m-peer-to-peer-loan-approved-to-build-over-30-social-homes/
- Green Reit ‘pleased’ with sale process of €1.5bn property investment company https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/green-reit-pleased-with-sale-process-of-1-5bn-property-investment-company-1.3935540?mode=amp
- Bartra gets green light for high-rise office scheme in Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/bartra-gets-green-light-for-high-rise-office-scheme-in-dublin-1.3936249?mode=amp
- RGRE seeks €250m funding for Dublin docklands apartment scheme https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/rgre-seeks-250m-funding-for-dublin-docklands-apartment-scheme-1.3937000?mode=amp
- Derry group to deliver three rapid-build projects for Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/derry-group-to-deliver-three-rapid-build-projects-for-dublin-1.3938134?mode=amp
- Developers paid banking lobby group €20m to vacate offices https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/banking-lobby-group-paid-20m-to-surrender-nassau-house-lease-1.3937153?mode=amp
- O’Malley Homes could clean up with new apartments in Clonskeagh https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/o-malley-homes-could-clean-up-with-new-apartments-in-clonskeagh-1.3938434?mode=amp
- Neville Hotel Group acquires five-star Druid’s Glen resort for €45m https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/neville-hotel-group-acquires-five-star-druid-s-glen-resort-for-45m-1.3937028?mode=amp
- LANDMARK SITE FOR €5.5M IN DUBLIN DOCKLANDS – Property District | Irish Property Services https://propertydistrict.ie/landmark-site-for-e5-5m-in-dublin-docklands/
- The gentleman farmer revolutionising Dublin’s pub scene https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/the-gentleman-farmer-revolutionising-dublin-s-pub-scene-1.3938335?mode=amp
- Construction salaries up 9% https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/construction-salaries-up-9
- Construction’s largest concrete pour complete at Hinkley | Construction Enquirer http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/06/28/constructions-largest-concrete-pour-complete-at-hinkley/
- Aecom responds to US investor that urged closure of construction unit https://www.constructionweekonline.com/business/255954-aecom-responds-starboard-values-suggestions-about-construction-units-closure
- Falcon brings in its biggest luffer yet https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/falcon-brings-in-its-biggets-luffer-yet
- Power of Proptech 2019: proptech makes waves in sector | Insight | Property Week https://www.propertyweek.com/client-solutions/power-of-proptech-2019-proptech-makes-waves-in-sector/5103227.article
The Agile Agent
Getting Ireland’s Property Marketplace Digital by Default
The Agile Agent is a 12-month digital transformation programme for independent Irish estate agents and auctioneers, which runs from September – August. This programme will be delivered by a multi-disciplinary Irish and UK team and will go beyond proptech adoption to help agents get their industry digital by default.
Q3. March – May 2019 Agile Agent check-in now available HERE:
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- From smart design and planning right through to the smart property transaction, where does your Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business sit? Pease take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORS and STARTUPS
- Well done!! Irish #proptech start-up Geowox raises €500,000 in funding https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/irish-property-tech-start-up-geowox-raises-500-000-in-funding-1.3934902?mode=amp
- Online platform offers low-cost architect quality design https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/online-platform-offers-low-cost-architect-quality-design-932546.html
- Real Estate as a service: all change, all change — Antony Slumbers https://www.antonyslumbers.com/theblog/2019/6/3/real-estate-as-a-service-all-change-all-change
- Enterprise Ireland invests €72m via seed and venture schemes https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/enterprise-ireland-invests-72m-via-seed-and-venture-schemes-1.3939828?mode=amp
- From Ralph Monague at arcdox.com: “Have you seen “Prism”? – a free, online, open source, application for site development feasibility studies, using the spatial planning rules for precision manufactured housing (PMH) developed for the @MayorofLondon prism-app.io ”
- Graphisoft CEO talks about changes in BIM possibilities with ARCHICAD https://archpaper.com/2019/06/graphisoft-ceo-changes-in-bim-archicad/
- Co-Living Startup Venn Raises $40M To ‘Reinvent Urban Neighborhoods’ https://www-inman-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.inman.com/2019/06/25/co-living-startup-venn-raises-40m-to-reinvent-urban-neighborhoods/amp/
- Property guru Phil Spencer links up with property technology company Gazeal [Press Release] | Gazeal Partners https://partners.gazeal.co.uk/news/property-guru-phil-spencer-links-up-with-property-technology-company-gazeal-press-release/
- London-based proptech startup Canopy raises €3.5 million to replace rental deposits with digital passports | EU-Startups https://www.eu-startups.com/2019/06/london-based-proptech-startup-canopy-raises-e3-5-million-to-replace-rental-deposits-with-digital-passports/
- This Project Management Startup Is Helping Operators Save Millions https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.forbes.com/sites/angelicakrystledonati/2019/06/28/this-project-management-startup-is-helping-operators-save-millions/amp/
- How Proptech is Changing Today’s Data Driven Environment https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/how-proptech-is-changing-todays-data-driven-environment
- ‘Bigger than fintech’: Shelli Trung launches massive REACH proptech accelerator in Australia – SmartCompany https://www.smartcompany.com.au/startupsmart/news/shelli-trung-reach-proptech-accelerator/
- Agents can cut complaints by adopting more PropTech, … https://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/6/agents-can-cut-complaints-by-adopting-more-proptech-says-guru?source=newsticker
- AI start-up hoping to put lawyers out of business wins global award https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/spotdraft-ai-legal-get-in-the-ring-winner
- Expotrade Mideast: UAE real estate appetite driving proptech tools – Business – Construction Week Online https://www.constructionweekonline.com/business/256046-expotrade-mideast-uae-real-estate-appetite-driving-proptech-tools
- New in London? These 11 proptech startups will help you find your home | Silicon Canals https://siliconcanals.nl/news/new-to-london-these-11-proptech-startups-will-help-you-find-your-home/
- GoReport boosts revenue 60% as proptech sector heats up | Business Up North https://www.businessupnorth.co.uk/goreport-boosts-revenue-60-as-proptech-sector-heats-up/
- Pi Labs Founder Faisal Butt Steps In As CEO To Lead Its Next Stage Of Growth https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelicakrystledonati/2019/06/21/pi-labs-founder-faisal-butt-steps-in-as-ceo-to-lead-its-next-stage-of-growth/?ss=consumertech#2010f27a6a47
- Prop-tech McMakler raises $56 million | AIM Group https://aimgroup.com/2019/06/23/prop-tech-mcmakler-raises-56-million/
- Online knowledge database for BIM launched | BIM+ http://www.bimplus.co.uk/news/online-knowledge-database-bim-launched/
- In Praise of Purplebricks: a senior estate agent speaks out https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/6/in-praise-of-purplebricks-a-senior-estate-agent-speaks-out
- While people puzzle over WeWork, niche co-working spaces continue gaining traction – TechCrunch https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/22/while-people-puzzle-over-wework-niche-co-working-spaces-continue-gaining-traction/
- Leading investment fund to invest up to £30m in proptech over five years https://thenegotiator.co.uk/pi-labs-proptech-30-million/
- Expo Real adds new hall to meet proptech growth | propertyEU https://propertyeu.info/Nieuws/Expo-Real-adds-new-hall-to-meet-proptech-growth/3104021a-2972-4848-ac16-3be43f505886
- Could this happen in Ireland? Malta to Register All Property Rental Contracts on #Blockchain https://cointelegraph.com/news/malta-to-register-all-property-rental-contracts-on-blockchain/amp
- Property transactions to go digital with likely law change https://www.straitstimes.com/tech/property-transactions-to-go-digital-with-likely-law-change
- Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs unveils its high-tech ‘city-within-a-city’ plan for Toronto #proptech #smartcity
- AI in Action:
- Agents warned over 50% of leads at risk because of slow responses
- London-based startup Qualis Flow raises €800k seed to make construction more sustainable | EU-Startups https://www.eu-startups.com/2019/06/london-based-startup-qualis-flow-raises-e800k-seed-to-minimize-environmental-risks-in-construction/
New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
Crowd-sourcing answers topical property questions:
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded in 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
From 2019, the publishers and I want to ensure the content remains topical and we are doing this by crowd-sourcing home buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/