Good morning folks, if your interest is in the New Homes market, both The Sunday Times and The Sunday Business Post have special advertising features and listings today. On the other hand, if your Sunday is ear-marked for a Brexit deep dive, then the Sunday Independent might be more your speed today. The Independent also has a supplement on the school league tables (the results of which have a MASSIVE impact on housing).
If you missed last week’s Sunday Property Round-Up, which was full of industry and tech/innovation news, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
Before we get started, on behalf of the Property District team, I want to wish Irish Times’ commercial property editor Jack Fagan the very best wishes on his retirement: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/irish-times-commercial-property-editor-jack-fag
And in the spirit of nostalgia ‘Cross the Liffey in a jiffy’: River ferry in Dublin’s docklands returns after 35 years: https://www.thejournal.ie:443/liffey-ferry-crossing-4452463-Jan2019/https://www.thejournal.ie/liffey-ferry-crossing-4452463-Jan2019/?amp=1
Last year I wrote about the marked rise in (and diversification of) industry sponsorship deals so well done to the Glenveagh Properties team on their sponsorship of the Irish Times Fantasy Rugby Series: https://www.adworld.ie/2019/01/25/glenveagh-properties-to-sponsor-irish-times-fantasy-rugby-series/
And some good news for busy business owners: Facebook to merge Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-instagram-whatsapp-messenger-app-merger-download-a8746376.html?amp
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing email@example.com.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
- Americans stopped buying homes in 2018, mortgage lenders are getting crushed, and an economic storm could be brewing https://www.businessinsider.in/americans-stopped-buying-homes-in-2018-mortgage-lenders-are-getting-crushed-and-an-economic-storm-could-be-brewing/amp_articleshow/67690247.cms
PLACEMAKING – Public Consultation and Community Engagement
One of the lead business stories in The Sunday Times today is by Gavin Daly, who reports that Iput has “cleared the first hurdle for a mammoth office scheme” in Dublin city south. Planning for the new 51,000sqm development has already attracted local opposition. We will continue to keep an eye on this.
- Average salary of Dublin docklands tenant rose to €117,095 in 2018, estate agent says: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/average-salary-of-dublin-docklands-tenant-rose-to-117-095-in-2018-1.3767880?mode=amp
- How do you address a crisis in your community that your company helped to cause?: Microsoft Spends $500 Million to Help Build Affordable Housing | Inc.comhttps://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/microsoft-spends-500-million-affordable-housing.html
- Player Wills site must be used for public housing, protesters say https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/player-wills-site-must-be-used-for-public-housing-protesters-say-1.3772144?mode=amp
- ‘A spotlight on vacancy’: Dublin 8 locals gather to protest vacant former factoryhttps://www.thejournal.ie/a-spotlight-on-vacancy-dublin-8-locals-gather-to-protest-vacant-former-factory-4458801-Jan2019/
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – LAUNCHING JANUARY 2019, contact the PLACEengage team for roll-out details*
Other Property News
- Dublin’s most expensive house is now for sale and OMG, please take a look inside (photos above) | Her.ie https://www.her.ie/amp/life/dublins-expensive-house-now-sale-omg-please-take-look-inside-447107
- In The Sunday Times, Gavin Daly reports that Bennett Construction recorded a 38% rise in turnover to €283.6m (March 2018 filings) and Collen Construction’s turnover is up 41% to €209m.
- One of the lead business stories in the Independent is about the shortage of student accommodation, however, this is shaping up to be a very short-term problem as this is the second busiest sector for construction activity in 2018/2019.
- In the SBP, Emma Kennedy has a good article on page 5 of the business section about the importance of understanding the fine print of your mortgage agreement.
- Also in the SBP, Joe Corr has an interesting opinion piece on the need to prioritise planning to achieve Ireland 2040 targets and Dublin’s serviced office market expanded by 50% last year, which will not come as a surprise to many.
- Some 9,000 apartments needed to meet rental demand – report https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/some-9-000-apartments-needed-to-meet-rental-demand-report-1.3754990?mode=amp
- Nearly quarter of population only ever borrowed for mortgage https://amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/nearly-quarter-of-population-only-ever-borrowed-for-mortgage-899253.html
- Mortgage rates ‘are fairly priced and won’t drop any time soon’ https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/mortgage-rates-are-fairly-priced-and-wont-drop-any-time-soon-37751151.html
- Arrow Global set to buy up distressed Irish mortgages https://www.irishtimes.com/business/arrow-global-set-to-buy-up-distressed-irish-mortgages-1.3770932?mode=amp
- Buy and lease-back scheme launched for homeowners https://www.rte.ie/amp/1025070/
- Big players join the BTR party https://www.propertyweek.com/resi/big-players-join-the-btr-party/5100886.article
- Clerys scion brings new lease of life to forgotten Dublin buildings https://amp.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/clerys-scion-brings-new-lease-of-life-to-forgotten-dublin-buildings-37742264.html
- Airbnb lease 40,000 sq. ft. in Dublin’s Reflector building https://www.savills.ie/_news/article/112474/274690-0/1/2019/airbnb-lease-40-000-sq.-ft.-in-dublin-s-reflector-building
- Concerns raised over lack of construction outside Dublin and Corkhttps://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/concerns-raised-over-lack-of-construction-outside-dublin-and-cork-899070.html
- KYRAN FITZGERALD: Construction skills shortage is the new elephant in the roomhttps://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/columnists/kyran-fitgerald/kyran-fitzgerald-construction-skills-shortage-is-the-new-elephant-in-the-room-898880.html
- Dunnes wins court order to stop vacant site registration https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dunnes-wins-court-order-to-stop-vacant-site-registration-1.3766998?mode=amp
- Portfolio of 17 apartments at Longboat Quay development in Dublin for sale at €8.75mhttps://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/portfolio-of-17-apartments-at-longboat-quay-development-in-dublin-for-sale-at-8-75m-1.3765448
- Dalata to open new hotel in Dublin’s Spencer Place https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dalata-to-open-new-hotel-in-dublin-s-spencer-place-1.3765071?mode=amp
- Construction begins on Starwood-funded offices in Sandyford https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/construction-begins-on-starwood-funded-offices-in-sandyford-1.3766725?mode=amp
- Two units in Finglas business park guiding €10.5m https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/two-units-in-finglas-business-park-guiding-10-5m-1.3765676?mode=amp
- New Figures Reveal Almost 400 Houses Vacant In Cork County | East Cork Journalhttps://www.eastcorkjournal.ie/new-figures-reveal-almost-400-houses-vacant-in-cork-county/
- Greystar in €175m deal for Dublin Landings portfolio of apartmentshttps://amp.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/greystar-in-175m-deal-for-dublin-landings-portfolio-of-apartments-37742262.html
- Dlrcc grant planning for 146 apartments at Cherrywood – Cabinteely Lifehttps://cabinteelylife.com/2019/01/25/dlrcc-grant-planning-for-146-apartments-at-cherrywood/
- Ires Reit prepares application for 428 apartments in Sandyford https://www.irishtimes.com/business/ires-reit-prepares-application-for-428-apartments-in-sandyford-1.3767210?mode=amp
- Developer Dwyer Nolan tees up 130-unit Santry scheme for another pre-build sale https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/developer-dwyer-nolan-tees-up-130-unit-santry-scheme-for-another-pre-build-sale-1.3767940?mode=amp
- BAM has acquired a stake in a leading modular homes provider Modern Homes Ireland (MHI). BAM aims to take advantage of housing boom with MHI stakehttps://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/bam-aims-to-take-advantage-of-housing-boom-with-mhi-stake-1.3769853?mode=amp
Agile Agent – Getting Ireland’s property marketplace digital by default
12-month digital transformation programme for independent estate agents and auctioneers across Ireland
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- The big Proptech story of this month has been the launch of Global proptech database UNISSU. This site aims to be the single resource for all international news, innovations, likely applications and key trends for the sector. If you are working in the planning, construction or property industries, I recommend signing up here for all the latest global proptech news and insights: UNISSU Also, if you own a technology business selling into any of these industries, check the database to ensure your organisation is featured – More here: https://prop-tech.ie/global-proptech-data-platform-unissu-com-is-launched/
- #BizTrends2019: A Proptech (R)evolution https://m.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/726/184645.html
- Proptech is making inroads. These are the areas where real estate experts see the most promise: Real estate execs discussed what tech their firms are most interested in and what challenges are ahead: https://therealdeal.com/2019/01/25/proptech-is-making-inroads-these-are-the-areas-where-real-estate-experts-see-the-most-promise/
- Mashroom brings Emoov back to life – Mashroom – Medium https://medium.com/@mashroomcom/mashroom-brings-emoov-back-to-life-254416fca765
- PropTech Today: What next for agents if virtual assistants take over?
- British start-up Lavanda developing new app to solve ‘illegitimate’ short-term rentalshttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/01/20/british-start-up-lavanda-developing-new-app-solve-illegitimate/amp/
- PropTech platform allows Build To Rent units to be short-let during voids
- Startup that wants to help developers map construction sites in “near real time” raises $2.3M: Company wants to decrease the time it takes to make aerial site plans to 24 hours
- WeWork to launch flexible coffee shop https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/wework-to-launch-flexible-coffee-shop-20190122
- Are you an Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business? If so, please take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORS and to keep up-to-date on all things tech and innovation for the planning, construction and property industries, head over to http://www.prop-tech.ie, the national resource website for innovators, investors and mentors or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Crowd-sourcing: New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded for 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
For the first time, the 2019 edits will be crowd-sourced and will include home-buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/