Good afternoon folks, it’s a lighter than usual read today, with industry news throughout the week and across today’s broadsheets slower than expected.
Similar to last week, The Sunday Times is the newspaper to pick up today if you have an interest in residential property prices across the country – excluding Dublin, which was featured last week.
If you missed last week’s Sunday Property Round-Up, which was full of industry and tech/innovation news, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
There is space for 15,000 homes within walking distance of Dublin’s O’Connell Street
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- Lack of affordable housing ‘destroying communities’ in Dublin https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/lack-affordable-housing-destroying-communities-15636537.amp
- The Dublin Schemes We’re Likely To Be Talking About In 2019 https://www.bisnow.com/dublin/news/office/the-dublin-schemes-well-be-talking-about-in-2019-96366#ath
- White-water rafting course proposed for George’s Dock in Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/white-water-rafting-course-proposed-for-george-s-dock-in-dublin-1.3750431?mode=amp
- Junior minister opposes 385-home development in north Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/junior-minister-opposes-385-home-development-in-north-dublin-1.3750505?mode=amp
- Big Changes Ahead for The Liberties in 2019 – The Liberties http://libertiesdublin.ie/big-changes-ahead-for-the-liberties-in-2019/
- Dublin City Council challenges decision to halt relocation of bridgeshttps://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/dublin-city-council-challenges-decision-to-halt-relocation-of-bridges-1.3751599?mode=amp
- Upgrade begins of Douglas ‘ghost estate’ after lying idle for 11 yearshttps://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Upgrade-begins-of-Douglas-ghost-estate-after-lying-idle-for-11-years-95d91490-0f40-45af-8818-921368081607-ds
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – LAUNCHING JANUARY 2019, contact the PLACEengage team for roll-out detail
Other Property News
- As mentioned above, The Sunday Times includes the regional property price guide and it makes for interesting reading. 2018 is described as having been “a year of steady progress” across the regions. Obviously, Brexit and the fallout is the big uncertainty for 2019. Like last week’s Dublin guide, there are many colour pieces from well known-faces, talking about the towns they grew up in. The breakdowns for Cork, Limerick and Galway are in-depth and helpful.
- Also in The Times today, David Quinn has an opinion piece that is likely to attract criticism (for what it’s worth, I agree with a lot of what he has to say…) ‘Home truths needed in the housing debate: It’s not hard-hearted to point out people may be playing the system’. He refers to the controversial – yet entirely accurate – comments by Conor Skehan who “invited viewers to check out Focus Ireland’s four-storey office in Dublin city centre and to question whether we got value from a sector which received €152m annually in public and private donations, and which employed 2,500 full-time staff between 25 organisations…that amounts to one in every four people who are homeless“. If you were not shocked by this, you need to go back and read it again.
- Niall Brady reports that more than 1,000 mortgage holders have now made complaints to the financial services ombudsman in relation to the ongoing track mortgage scandal.
- The lead business story in the Sunday Independent today, by Michael Cogley, reports that AIB has called on the Government to extend the help-to-buy scheme beyond 2019 and for tax breaks for non-institutional landlords. Ian Guider in The Sunday Business Post also writes about this.
- Also in the Independent, Ronald Quinlan reports that Johnny Ronan “eyes bid for New York’s Chrysler Building”. This will be an interesting listing to watch.
- In the SBP today, Capital Group apparently sold close of €12m worth of shares in Carin Homes.
- Roisin Burke has an interesting piece detailing how the ‘State bankrolls prime city parking spaces worth at least million’.
- I AM-Sold, Galway-based, nationwide property auction house has announced that it will run more than 30 online auctions in 2019.
- House viewers asked to hand over social media accounts and PPS numbershttps://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/house-viewers-asked-to-hand-over-social-media-accounts-and-pps-numbers-897105.html
- Ireland second behind Greece on mortgage interest rates https://www.rte.ie/amp/1022629/
- Revenue sees Local Property Tax compliance rate of 97% https://www.rte.ie/amp/1021723/
- Families face property tax hikes of up to €500 after house price surgehttps://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/families-face-property-tax-hikes-of-up-to-500-after-house-price-surge-37701264.html
- EBS increases value of cash it will give back to new mortgage customershttps://amp.independent.ie/business/ebs-increases-value-of-cash-it-will-give-back-to-new-mortgage-customers-37696045.html
- Social Housing Income Limits Review To Be Completed This Month – Clare FM http://www.clare.fm/news/social-housing-income-limits-review-completed-month/
- Gifting property to my son https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/gifting-property-to-my-son-1.3750244?mode=amp
- Report shows upturn in construction activity during 2018 https://amp.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/report-shows-upturn-in-construction-activity-during-2018-37696965.html
- Highest Take-Up Ever Recorded in the Dublin Office Market in 2018 – Construction Network Ireland – Construction Network Ireland http://www.constructionnetworkireland.com/dublin-records-highest-office-takeup-record-2018/
- Second year of expansion for Dublin office market as tech firms growhttps://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/second-year-of-expansion-for-dublin-office-market-as-tech-firms-grow-1.3751012?mode=amp
- Thousands of non-national construction workers will be needed to meet housing targets’ – Ibec
- Property magnate Stephen Vernon takes stake in Staycity https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/property-magnate-stephen-vernon-takes-stake-in-staycity-1.3751041?mode=amp
- Billionaire Galway brothers make €77 million profit on recession bought office block – Galway Daily https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/billionaire-galway-brothers-make-e77-million-profit-on-recession-bought-office-block/
- Skills shortage sends Irish employers on global hunt for staff https://amp.ft.com/content/ba62d352-fc67-11e8-ac00-57a2a826423e
- Continued demand for office space, transforming retail environments and growth of Private Rental Schemes: The Lisney Outlook 2019 https://www.lisney.com/research/news-roi/1592-continued-demand-for-office-space-transforming-retail-environments-and-growth-of-private-rental-schemes-the-lisney-outlook-2019
- New alternative finance provider targets Irish property developers https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/new-alternative-finance-provider-targets-irish-property-developers-1.3752719?mode=amp
- Analysis finds Ireland biggest winner from US tech FDI https://www.rte.ie/amp/1022708/
12-month digital transformation programme for independent estate agents and auctioneers across Ireland
Getting Ireland’s property marketplace digital by default
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- The big Proptech story of the week has been the launch of Global proptech database UNISSU. This site aims to be the single resource for all international news, innovations, likely applications and key trends for the sector. If you are working in the planning, construction or property industries, I recommend signing up here for all the latest global proptech news and insights: UNISSU Also, if you own a technology business selling into any of these industries, check the database to ensure your organisation is featured!
- More here: Global PropTech data platform Unissu.com is launched – PropTech Ireland https://prop-tech.ie/global-proptech-data-platform-unissu-com-is-launched/
- 20 More AI Predictions For 2019 https://www.forbes.com/sites/gilpress/2018/12/12/20-more-ai-predictions-for-2019/#4e18e6e14d74
- The 7 Lessons That Proptech Startups Can Learn From Biotech https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelicakrystledonati/2019/01/10/the-7-lessons-that-proptech-startups-can-learn-from-biotech/#1bfcdc1f68fb
- This Swiss proptech startup brings VR into real estate, convinces investors for around €1M funding | Silicon Canals https://siliconcanals.nl/news/startups/contech-proptech/this-swiss-proptech-startup-brings-vr-into-real-estate-convinces-investors-for-around-e1m-funding/
- WeWork rebrands to We Company, reveals details of SoftBank deal https://www.fastcompany.com/90289512/exclusive-wework-to-rebrand-to-the-we-company-in-wake-of-disappointing-funding-news?partner=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rss+fastcompany&utm_content=rss
- Barcelona-based proptech startup Badi raises $30 million to find you a room (and perhaps a roommate) – Tech.eu https://tech.eu/brief/barcelona-based-proptech-startup-badi-raises-30-million-to-find-you-a-room-and-perhaps-a-roommate/
- PropTech start-up fund appoints Angelica Donati as new partner https://www.businesscloud.co.uk/news/proptech-start-up-fund-appoints-angelica-donati-as-new-partn
- In Light of the Fee Ban, Can PropTech Firms Damage Control?
- French proptech startup PapyHappy lands €1.5 million for its platform to help seniors find housing | EU-Startups https://www.eu-startups.com/2019/01/papyhappy-lands-funding/
- Caulfield, Liao and Ascani join Talent Garden Dublin’s VC-in-residence panel https://www.siliconrepublic.com/start-ups/talent-garden-dublin-vc-in-residence-panel
- More Start-Ups Have an Unfamiliar Message for Venture Capitalists: Get Lost https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/technology/start-ups-rejecting-venture-capital.html
- Are you an Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business? If so, please take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORS and to keep up-to-date on all things tech and innovation for the planning, construction and property industries, head over to http://www.prop-tech.ie, the national resource website for innovators, investors and mentors or email email@example.com .
Crowd-sourcing: New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded for 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
For the first time, the 2019 edits will be crowd-sourced and will include home-buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/