Good afternoon folks, I hope you are all enjoying the Christmas break. This is the final Sunday Property Round-Up of 2018 so I had endeavoured to get a good mix of national and international commentary from online and traditional industry news sources. Unsurprisingly, industry news across all broadsheets today is relatively light. The Irish Examiner has definitely been the publication of note for the best industry coverage this week.
If you missed last week’s Sunday Property Round-Up, which was full of industry and tech/innovation news, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/commercial-property-news/
Before we get started, I want to draw your attention to the following:
- Why industry reputation matters (not to mention crisis communications – talk to the Property District team for confidential advice on this): ‘Absolutely no danger’: Developer defends evacuated Opal Tower buildinghttps://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/absolutely-no-danger-developer-defends-evacuated-opal-tower-building-20181226-p50o9o.html
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing email@example.com.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
House of cards – Surveyors Journal ‘Certain aspects of the Construction Contracts Act 2013 need to be treated with caution.’
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- Pól Ó Conghaile: Do we really want Dublin to turn into Dundrum Town Centre? #placemaking https://amp.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/pl-conghaile-do-we-really-want-dublin-to-turn-into-dundrum-town-centre-37637835.html
- Opposition to Metrolink plan for south Dublin continues
- Old Erin Foods Site Set For €24 Million Redevelopment | Thurles Informationhttp://www.thurles.info/2018/12/17/old-erin-foods-site-set-for-e24-million-redevelopment/
- Using Immersive technologies like VR/AR to overcome costly planning objections via Construction Network Ireland : http://www.constructionnetworkireland.com/property-district-wins-dcu-ryan-academy-competition/
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – LAUNCHING JANUARY 2019, contact the PLACEengage team for roll-out details*
Other Property News
- Previewing Ireland’s economy in 2019: The stats don’t lie – Ireland is doing well right now https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/preview-irish-economy-2019-vic-duggan-4408643-Dec2018/?amp=1
- Property Ireland 2018: House price rises slow dramatically in Dublin but other cities continue to soar https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/property-ireland-2018-house-price-rises-slow-dramatically-in-dublin-but-other-cities-continue-to-soar-37665341.html
- Ireland well on the way to becoming a nation of renters https://amp.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/ireland-well-on-the-way-to-becoming-a-nation-of-renters-37659674.html?__twitter_impression=true
- The Sunday Independent is the broadsheet of choice today for housing commentary from both Conor Skehan and Ronan Lyons, who claim that the supply of three-bed semis will meet and exceed demand in the New Year, for the first time in years. To me, this appears to have been a numbers-only exercise as there is nowhere close to this in launch phase (in pre-commencement planning maybe) around the Greater Dublin Area. *As always, home-hunters can share their experiences with the Buyers Broker research team and I will report it.*
- The lead business story in the Independent today, by Michael Cogley, reports that “analysts tip homebuilders’ shares for a 2019 rebound”, referring to Glenveagh and Cairn Homes (both suffered losses in 2018).
- Also, Fearghal O’Connor reports that Kategale Ltd has applied for planning for 200 homes at Northwood in Santry.
- In The Sunday Times today, Mark Tighe reports that the Law Society “has moved ahead with plans to develop a disused site it bought for €20m in 2006 after being hit by a vacant site levy that will cost it €300,000 next month”.
- In The Sunday Business Post, Elaine O’Regan writes about Kieran Beggan and George Harold’s venture, Integrated Facilities Solutions (IFS), which offers a digital alternative to asset management for the entire life cycle of a building.
- Household incomes average €45k as homes sell for €350k-plus pushing purchasing ‘beyond reach of most’ https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/household-incomes-average-45k-as-homes-sell-for-350k-plus-pushing-purchasing-beyond-reachof-most-894318.html
- Builders fear ‘affordable’ homes won’t sell, warns council boss https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/builders-fear-affordable-homes-wont-sell-warns-council-boss-37662409.html
- Winter freeze: Central Bank rules and Brexit concerns cause ‘paralysis’ in house sales https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/winter-freeze-central-bank-rules-and-brexit-concerns-cause-paralysis-in-house-sales-37657508.html
- More homeowners will have to pay property tax if government decides to scrap exemption https://www.thejournal.ie/property-tax-2019-4408937-Dec2018/?amp=1
- Property tax could be used locally says Varadkar https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/property-tax-could-be-used-locally-says-varadkar-893967.html
- More than €250,000 in ‘finder’s fees’ for HAP – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/more-than-250000-in-finders-fees-for-hap-37655092.html
- Some of State’s most valuable ‘vacant sites’ to avoid land-hoarding fines https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/some-of-state-s-most-valuable-vacant-sites-to-avoid-land-hoarding-fines-1.3743386?mode=amp
- Returning to Ireland in 2019? Selling your property abroad – Crowe Ireland http://www.crowe.ie/returning-ireland-2019-selling-property-abroad/
- COMMERCIAL PROPERTY: Irish Independent – first with news of the biggest commercial property deals in 2018 https://amp.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/irish-independent-first-with-news-of-the-biggest-commercial-property-deals-in-2018-37659677.html?__twitter_impression=true
- Finance Ireland plans €200m commercial property loans bonds deal https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/finance-ireland-plans-200m-commercial-property-loans-bonds-deal-1.3743136?mode=amp
- Belfast has been named the world’s most business-friendly small city by the Financial Times https://lovebelfast.co.uk/belfast-business-friendly-small-city/amp/
- Housing crisis ‘putting sex workers at risk’ https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/housing-crisis-putting-sex-workers-at-risk-894115.html
- ‘Exemption restrictions fog our reading of the housing sector but there’s no need to panic yet’ https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/mark-keenan-exemption-restrictions-fog-our-reading-of-the-housing-sector-but-theres-no-need-to-panic-yet-37657514.html
- Calls for more housing and insurance supports for returning emigrants https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/calls-for-more-housing-and-insurance-supports-for-returning-emigrants-37655446.html
- Builders cannot deliver houses at the right price https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/builders-cannot-deliver-houses-at-the-right-price-894334.html
- ‘Changing our laws over housing could at least offer the homeless some hope in a time of misery’ https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/colette-browne-changing-our-laws-over-housing-could-at-least-offer-the-homeless-some-hope-in-a-time-of-misery-37657479.html
- Taoiseach can’t say if anyone will be held to account over children’s hospital overspend https://www.thejournal.ie/childrens-hospital-overcost-4408765-Dec2018/?amp=1 This is also the subject of a lengthy opinion piece by Colm McCarthy in the Sunday Independent today.
- Cork must stop comparing itself to Dublin and start creating https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/cork-must-stop-comparing-itself-to-dublin-and-start-creating-894488.html
- Minister Ring confirms Government allocation of €22m for roads in Mayohttp://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/28208-minister-ring-confirms-government-allocation-of-22m-for-roads-in-mayo
- Limerick auctioneers cautiously optimistic as 2019 approaches https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/354818/limerick-auctioneers-cautiously-optimistic-as-2019-approaches.html
- County Limerick village of Castleconnell is a ‘coveted area’ –Supermac’s Pat McDonagh https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/354493/county-limerick-village-of-castleconnell-is-a-coveted-area-supermacspat-mcdonagh.html
- Retailers reflect on a changing business environment https://www.rte.ie/amp/1018923/
- Flyaway Homes Uses Shipping Containers for the Homelesshttp://www.modularhomecoach.com/2018/12/flyaway-homes-uses-shipping-containers_22.html?m=1
- This Scottish café chain has built a village for the homeless https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/05/good-eating-scottish-cafe-chain-builds-village-for-homeless
- Google Shifts European Data Seat To Dublin | Silicon UK Tech News https://www.silicon.co.uk/workspace/google-ireland-takes-over-as-data-controller-for-european-users-239699/amp
- Michael Moriarty appointed as chairman of Appian Burlington Property Fundhttps://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/michael-moriarty-appointed-as-chairman-of-appian-burlington-property-fund-1.3742981?mode=amp
- UK property market feels Brexit gloom but top-end buyers unruffled https://amp.thenational.ae/business/property/uk-property-market-feels-brexit-gloom-but-top-end-buyers-unruffled-1.805340
- Getting to Zero—Taking Action on Carbon https://www.laboratoryequipment.com/article/2018/12/getting-zero-taking-action-carbon
- Juan O’Gorman, architect behind Mexico City’s most intriguing buildings https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/juan-o-gorman-architect-behind-mexico-city-s-most-intriguing-buildings-1.3736691?mode=amp
12-month digital transformation programme for independent estate agents and auctioneers across Ireland
Getting Ireland’s property marketplace digital by default
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- And What A Year It Was! Take A Visual Look Back At The Year That Was #CRE And #TECH 2018 from Duke Long http://dukelong.com/and-what-a-year-it-was-take-a-visual-look-back-at-the-year-that-was-cre-and-tech-2018/
- PropTech VCs Share Their Thoughts On 2018 and Expectations For 2019https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelicakrystledonati/2018/12/27/proptech-vcs-share-their-thoughts-on-2018-and-expectations-for-2019/#9bf4e17f1248
- 5 PropTech Startup Trends to Watch for 2019 https://realtybiznews.com/5-proptech-startup-trends-to-watch-in-2019/98752155/
- Canada’s property market may be cooling, but ‘proptech’ is booming | Financial Posthttps://business.financialpost.com/real-estate/canadas-property-market-may-be-cooling-but-proptech-is-booming
- Wyoming Is Considering to Transfer Property and Land Information to Blockchain https://openledger.info/insights/wyoming-is-considering-to-transfer-property-and-land-information-to-blockchain/
- Jules Coleman Founder and CTO, proptech Resi listed amongst the World’s Top 50 Women In Tech https://www.forbes.com/top-tech-women/list/#search:Julw
- Compass spreads to the West Coast with new proptech hub https://www.onlinemarketplaces.com/articles/22718-Compass-spreads-to-the-West-Coast-with-new-proptech-hub
- JLL Spark’s Mihir Shah Offers His PropTech Predictions for 2019 | Propmodohttps://propmodo.com/jll-sparks-mihir-shah-offers-his-proptech-predictions-for-2019/
- WeWork’s take-up of London office space almost halves https://amp.ft.com/content/994a60ea-02cf-11e9-9d01-cd4d49afbbe3
- CREtech Los Angeles 2019 – CRETECH https://www.cretech.com/event/cretech-los-angeles-2019/
- Why 4D BIM with AI is the Secret Ingredient to a Successful Construction Project – Geospatial World https://www.geospatialworld.net/blogs/why-4d-bim-with-ai-is-the-secret-ingredient-to-a-successful-construction-project/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
- Are you an Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business? If so, please take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORS and to keep up-to-date on all things tech and innovation for the planning, construction and property industries, head over to http://www.prop-tech.ie, the national resource website for innovators, investors and mentors or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Crowd-sourcing: New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) has undergone a rebrand for 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
For the first time, the 2019 edits will be crowd-sourced and will include home-buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/