Unsurprisingly, industry news across all broadsheets today is light. The commentary about the much-reported on eviction in Roscommon last weekend ranges from the idealistic to the insensitive so I am not repeating any of it here, you can read the facts, as reported, below.
If you missed last week’s Sunday Property Round-Up, which was full of industry and tech/innovation news, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/commercial-property-news/
Before we get started, I want to draw your attention to the following:
- Water Supply and Service Updates | Irish Water https://www.water.ie/water-supply/supply-and-service-update/?ref=DLR030843
- Call out for emigrants to come home https://www.irishtimes.com/special-reports/new-year-new-career/call-out-for-emigrants-to-come-home-1.3727759?mode=amp
- Home for the holidays: is it possible to house-hunt at Christmas? https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/home-for-the-holidays-is-it-possible-to-house-hunt-at-christmas-1.3734675
- And, just because it’s Christmas, ‘Home Alone’ with Google Assistant!
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Merry Christmas and enjoy the break, I will be bringing you the final Sunday Property Round-Up of 2018 next week, be sure to let me know if there is something you would like me to cover.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
*Exciting news and 2019 plan to speed up the delivery of new homes in Ireland (to start with!):
Augmented Reality PropTech to Overcome Planning Objections Wins DCU Ryan Academy Pitch Competition – Construction Network Ireland
PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – LAUNCHING JANUARY 2019!
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- Colin Coyle, in The Sunday Times, reports that an environmentalist, together with local residents in Doonbeg, is taking legal action to oppose plans for a €40 million redevelopment of Donald Trump’s golf resort in County Clare.
- Southern Regional Assembly: http://www.southernassembly.ie/news/news-article/draft-southern-regions-regional-spatial-and-economic-strategy
- 6,500 jobs expected in major ‘University town’ and Cleeves project in Limerick https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/353573/6-500-jobs-expected-in-major-university-town-and-cleeves-project-in-limerick.html
- 10,000 people can live in the redeveloped Tivoli docks https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/10000-people-can-live-in-the-redeveloped-Tivoli-docks-b0b139a8-e3c4-4188-9143-9d3f8241651b-ds
Other Property News
- Wayne O’Connor has an article in the Sunday Independent today on the massive increase in coffee shops, reporting that they are replacing main street stores. He is quoting economist Jim Power, who has warned of “an exodus from Irish main streets in 2019, with traditional shopping spots to become saturated with an unsustainable number of coffee shops and restaurants”.
- In the business section of the Sunday Independent, Fearghal O’Connor reports that Sisk is to buy a 50% holding in the facilities management division of Designer Group as part of a joint venture.
- Head of Offices at Knight Frank, Declan O’Reilly writes that ‘global tech giants dominate investment in Dublin office market in 2018’. He confirms that “around 1.3million sq.ft. has signed in the final quarter of the year so far, putting the total volume of take-up in the office market for 2018 to date at 3.5 million sq.ft.”. He goes on to say that he expects Dublin 8 to be increasingly attractive as an office location in 2019.
- In The Sunday Times, Gavin Daly reports that Paddy McKillen Jr. and Matt Ryan’s Oakmont has agreed the sale of the Lennox building and a development site at Fumbally Lane for more than €35 million.
- In The Sunday Business Post today, Collette Sexton reports that more than €35 million is to be invested in a new, city centre, campus for UL. Also, the State is to step in with €10 million to fund the long-halted events centre in Cork city.
- Jack Horgan-Jones reports that “Glenveagh Properties has been forced to admit defeat” in the ongoing High Court case against Johnny Ronan over lands in Foxrock.
- According to the same journalist, it looks like Hines is the winner of the most sought-after Dublin development site of 2018, Player Square.
- In the business section of the SBP, Greg Hayden, MD of one of Ireland’s most innovative M&E organisations, Ethos Engineering, is profiled about his successes to date and the company’s big plans for the next few years.
- Also, Remax’s Lorraine Mulligan talks about the need for investing in technology. She is the latest estate agent to extol the virtues of Beagel Bid’s online bidding system saying “people like it because it’s transparent…Buyers know where they stand whereas before they had to rely on hearsay about bids they had no way of substantiating”. Last year online bidding was best practice, but this truly is becoming an estate agency industry standard at this stage.
- ‘We are coming up to a bubble, and I would be afraid that if the bubble comes before we build enough houses we will be rightly stuck’ https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/we-are-coming-up-to-a-bubble-and-i-would-be-afraid-that-if-the-bubble-comes-before-we-build-enough-houses-we-will-be-rightly-stuck-37643172.html
- Construction of homes in Dublin city halves https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/construction-of-homes-in-dublin-city-halves-1.3737361?mode=amp
- Make houses cheaper: Government urged to reduce rate of VAT on new houses https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/make-houses-cheaper-government-urged-to-reduce-rate-of-vat-on-new-houses-1.3733302?mode=amp
- Overestimating demand may lead to new ghost estates being built, economist warns – Independent.ie https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/overestimating-demand-may-lead-to-new-ghost-estates-being-built-economist-warns-37636193.html
- Mortgage arrears continue downward trend – Central Bank https://www.rte.ie/amp/1018080/
- Low-interest home loan attracting more Donegal applicants | Donegal Nowhttps://www.donegalnow.com/news/low-interest-home-loan-attracting-donegal-applicants/262962
- 348 social homes will be provided before Christmas by Túath Housing Association | Her.iehttps://www.her.ie/amp/news/348-social-homes-christmas-442454
- The myth of the free council house: ‘We’re not just handing them over, that would be crazy’ https://www.thejournal.ie:443/social-housing-rents-4399149-Dec2018/https://www.thejournal.ie/social-housing-rents-4399149-Dec2018/
- Starwood Capital links up with Urbeo to create €1bn Irish build-to-rent platformhttps://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/starwood-capital-links-up-with-urbeo-to-create-1bn-irish-build-to-rent-platform-1.3733823?mode=amp
- Google adds two more Dublin buildings to portfolio https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/1217/1017641-google-adds-two-more-dublin-buildings-to-portfolio/
- British property investor acquires Dublin 8 industrial estate https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/british-property-investor-acquires-dublin-8-industrial-estate-1.3734560?mode=amp
- EXCLUSIVE: University of Limerick to open new campus in heart of city with 2,000 students https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/354291/exclusive-university-of-limerick-to-open-new-campus-in-heart-of-city-with-2-000-students.html
- Opportunity for Ireland? #Brexit Overseas landlords retreat from UK property markethttps://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/overseas-landlords-retreat-from-uk-property-market-1.3733803?mode=amp
- Landlord to pay mother €7k after landlord refused to accept rent supplement money
- €23m East Wall ‘Readymix’ site to be used for social housing https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/23m-east-wall-readymix-site-to-be-used-for-social-housing-1.3733355?mode=amp
- Gannon unveils plans for 1,537 Dublin apartments https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/gannon-unveils-plans-for-1537-dublin-apartments-37646940.html
- Twenty-seven new homes opened in Rathdrum and Arklow http://wicklownews.net/2018/12/twenty-seven-new-homes-opened-in-rathdrum-and-arklow/
- What the Roscommon eviction is really about https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/analysis/what-the-roscommon-eviction-is-really-about-893666.html
- McCanns’ Balmoral group eyes surprise asset increase https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/mccanns-balmoral-group-eyes-surprise-asset-increase-1.3733276?mode=amp
- BAM bags biggest order ever for Facebook UK HQ | Construction Enquirer http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2018/12/17/bam-confirmed-for-facebook-uk-hq-job/
- Finance chief in key role as land agency bids to tackle housing crisis: https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/finance-chief-in-key-role-as-land-agency-bids-to-tackle-housing-crisis-37646936.html
- Ministerial Guidelines on Building Heights – RW Nowlan & Associateshttp://www.rwnowlan.ie/ministerial-guidelines-on-building-height/
- Thinkhouse: the must-read UK housing reports of 2018 https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/comment/59575
- And a US perspective: Bay Area leaders propose aggressive housing fix, and new agency to get it done https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/amp/Bay-Area-leaders-propose-aggressive-housing-fix-13461969.php
12-month digital transformation programme for independent estate agents and auctioneers across Ireland
Getting Ireland’s property marketplace digital by default
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- Property Market Predictions 2019: Remaining Cautiously Optimistic https://www.forbes.com/sites/garybarker/2018/12/20/property-market-predictions-2019-remaining-cautiously-optimistic/#6ec1ba436bc8
- Startups Predict What 2019 Has In Store For PropTech https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelicakrystledonati/2018/12/22/startups-predict-what-2019-has-in-store-for-proptech/amp/
- Was 2018 Peak PropTech…or is the best yet to come?… https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2018/12/was-2018-peak-proptechor-is-the-best-yet-to-come?source=newsticker
- Does PropTech have the Potential to Save the Property Sector? https://www.landlordnews.co.uk/proptech-save-property-sector/
- The worlds of property and technology are colliding at a faster rate than ever | Business Leader News https://www.businessleader.co.uk/the-worlds-of-property-and-technology-are-colliding-at-a-faster-rate-than-ever/56920/
- PwC explores how public and private sectors can team to turn a smart city vision of connected, efficient, 24/7 citizen services into reality. https://pwc.to/2QydBOe
- Why You Don’t See Eye-to-Eye With Your Proptech Provider | GlobeSt https://www.globest.com/2018/12/17/why-you-dont-see-eye-to-eye-with-your-proptech-provider/?slreturn=20181117180541
- Predictive Analytics is CRE’s Holy Grail – CRETECH https://www.cretech.com/michael-beckerman/predictive-analytics-is-cres-holy-grail/
- PlaceTech | PlaceTech’s top 10 videos of 2018 https://placetech.net/analysis/placetechs-top-10-videos-of-2018/amp/
- Real World Blockchain Use Cases – 46 Blockchain Applicationshttps://101blockchains.com/blockchain-applications/
- New Study Shows the Evolving Relationship Between Landlords and Technology | Propmodo https://propmodo.com/new-study-shows-the-evolving-relationship-between-landlords-and-technology/
- Politics, Innovation and the Built World: My Conversation With The Fixerhttps://propmodo.com/politics-innovation-and-the-built-world-my-conversation-with-the-fixer/
- PropTech Startup Foyr Making VR and XR Affordable Reality for Real Estate | BizTechPost https://www.biztechpost.com/foyr-making-vr-and-xr-affordable-for-real-estate/
- Asia Pacific a hotbed of property technology innovation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Real_Estate/30360495
- Property firms turn to apps in proactive digital moves http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Real_Estate/30360494
- Rethink Design to Fix Housing Affordability Woes, Says Aussie Tech Startup #offsitehttps://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/highly-flawed-construction-industry-must-rethink-value-of-design
- Are you an Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business? If so, please take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORS and to keep up-to-date on all things tech and innovation for the planning, construction and property industries, head over to http://www.prop-tech.ie, the national resource website for innovators, investors and mentors or email email@example.com .
Crowd-sourcing: New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) has undergone a rebrand for 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
For the first time, the 2019 edits will be crowd-sourced and will include home-buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/