After a quiet few weeks on the property front, today’s broadsheets carry plenty of news stories and analysis. If you missed last week’s round-up, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
Before we get stuck into the general property news of the week, below are a few local and international stories that might be of particular interest…
- Peter Cosgrave: an appreciation https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/peter-cosgrave-an-appreciation-1.3870153?mode=amp
- Homeowners turn amateur property developers to finish incomplete projects https://www.livemint.com/money/personal-finance/homeowners-turn-amateur-property-developers-to-finish-incomplete-projects/amp-1556164445909.html
- Is the real estate industry ready to put the ‘U’ back into UX? – Medium https://medium.com/@caroltallon/is-the-industry-ready-to-put-the-u-back-into-ux-fff6ab6e5e72?sk=d827d8b1e49a167433f029ef50e99b91
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
#PropertyMatters Ireland’s First Weekly Property Radio Show (& Podcast!):
Ireland’s first weekly property radio show, Property Matters, launched In January 2019 on Dublin South FM 93.9 and is now available internationally via iTunes and Spotify podcast (@iPropertyRadio). Seasoned political journalist and broadcaster, Bryan Fox, and I (Carol Tallon) team up to deliver 60 minutes of industry chat with guests from the areas of planning, construction, property and proptech. Produced by Katie Tallon of Hear Me Roar Media.
On Property Matters this week we were joined in studio by Wicklow and Wexford-based estate agent, Michael Kinsella of Kinsella Estates to discuss the property market outside of Dublin. Kinsella Estates were the first estate agency outside of Dublin to introduce 360 property tours and virtual reality viewings, back in 2016. Also, head of business development at Shapoorji Pallonji, Karen Muldowney, joined us to talk about the impact of changes to non-EU workers permits on the construction labour market.
Listen back to this episode here:
Email the Property Matters team at hello@iPropertyRadio.com
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- Who’s to Blame for Gentrification? Planners, Apparently https://www.planetizen.com/features/103960-whos-blame-gentrification-planners-apparently
- Vancouverism — Good Urban Planning, or Platitudes? | The Tyee https://thetyee.ca/Culture/2019/04/23/Vancouverism-Good-Urban-Planning-Or-Platitudes/
- Suburban Limerick homes plan ‘beyond comprehension’ https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/377612/suburban-limerick-homes-plan-beyond-comprehension.html
- Nine-storey tower proposed for Glasnevin housing estate https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/nine-storey-tower-proposed-for-glasnevin-housing-estate-1.3872982?mode=amp
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – Property developers and project owners ready Public Consultation are encouraged to contact the PLACEengage team for full details*
Other Property News
- People paying €129,000 more to live near Dart and Luas stops in Dublin https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/people-paying-129000-more-to-live-near-dart-and-luas-stops-in-dublin-920517.html (Wayne O’Connor, writing in the Sunday Independent today, has more about this on page 10.)
- The lead business story in the Independent today is by Michael Cogley, who writes: ‘Finance calls for urgent ECB views on vulture funds bill: Department warns law will significantly reduce value of State’s bank shares’. This refers to the ‘No Consent, No Sale 2019’ bill proposed by Sinn Fein, which has already been passed by the Dail.
- Also in the Sunday Independent: Samantha McCaughren reports that Isif is putting €140m into the new Irish Residential Property Fund, to be managed by Irish Life Investment Managers; and Bartra Capital “has made another move to bring the shared-living model to Dublin” (coliving) with a planning application for a 208-unit development in Dun Laoghaire.
- The lead business story in The Sunday Times today is by Gavin Daly, as follows: ‘Build-to-rent craze grows with plans for 4,000 apartments: An Bord Pleanala dealing with flood of applications from big-name developers’. This is referring to a development blitz valued at at least €1.6bn by Ballymore/Oxley, Johnny Ronan, Andrew and Maurice Gillick, Marlet, Brian Durkin, Bernard McNamara, Park Developments, Glenveagh, Kennedy Wilson, Ires Reit, Bartra Capital and others. Also, student accommodation provider, GSA, apparently has plans to invest €450m on doubling initial delivery plans.
- Killian Woods in The Sunday Business Post today reports that DCC has “moved to reprimand high-profile developer Johnny Ronan” for failing to develop prime a prime infill housing site on the corner of Appian Way and Leeson Street Upper.
- Also in the SBP today: Google’s proposed ‘skybridges’ to link it’s Docklands buildings is back in the headlines (we’ll keep an eye on this!); Dublin houses record slight rise in sale price (0.33%); IDA calls for clarity on new Dublin building height rules amid the fallout from the Tara Tower planning decision and Amazon is seeking clarity on changes to data centres planning rules (more on this as soon as we have it).
- The SBP property section has a front page feature on Waterford, with a projected €750 million worth of new developments coming to the city between now and 2022.
- David McWilliams: Young workers feel anxious about the future – and rightly so: “People feel relatively optimistic about the future but also feel anxious about their economic predicament. This is particularly the case among young adults and young couples who worry about finding a place to live and raising a family.” https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-young-workers-feel-anxious-about-the-future-and-rightly-so-1.3871582?mode=amp
- Mortgage drawdowns up 8.9% in first three months https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/mortgage-drawdowns-up-8-9-in-first-three-months-1.3871590?mode=amp
- House prices special report: Cork city prices up by €100k in five years https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/specialreports/house-prices-special-report-cork-city-prices-up-by-100k-in-five-years-919191.html
- Big investors offer ‘key solution’ to Dublin’s housing crisis https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/big-investors-offer-key-solution-to-dublin-s-housing-crisis-1.3865909?mode=amp
- Small but perfectly formed: Is co-living the new co-working? https://www.irishtimes.com/special-reports/business-ireland-magazine/small-but-perfectly-formed-is-co-living-the-new-co-working-1.3858501
- How to turn your draughty period property into an eco home https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/interiors/turn-draughty-period-property-eco-home/amp/
- Company linked to Johnny Ronan sues Dublin City Council over height restriction guidelines https://www.thejournal.ie/johnny-ronan-sues-dublin-city-council-4604246-Apr2019/?amp=1
- People looking to come home to Ireland cannot afford Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/people-looking-to-come-home-to-ireland-cannot-afford-dublin-1.3872927?mode=amp
- DCC’s Keegan says criticism ‘near hysterical’ over him calling homeless services ‘attractive’ option https://www.thejournal.ie/owen-keegan-homeless-services-criticism-4607802-Apr2019/
- Subscriber Only: How to cash in on the house price recovery https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/how-to-cash-in-on-the-house-price-recovery-1.3864797?mode=amp
- Developer flips Sandymount home – minus most of its garden https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/developer-flips-sandymount-home-minus-most-of-its-garden-1.3870106?mode=amp
- Virgin Hotels eyes landing spot at Johnny Ronan’s Tara Street tower https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/virgin-hotels-eyes-landing-spot-at-johnny-ronan-s-tara-street-tower-1.3868326?mode=amp
- Under 30s upbeat about construction, Building survey finds https://www.building.co.uk/news/under-30s-upbeat-about-construction-building-survey-finds/5099117.article
- European group pays €150m for 600 Irish properties https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/european-group-pays-150m-for-600-irish-properties-1.3869196?mode=amp
- Ambitious industry leaders set their sights on building a greener future https://amp.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/ambitious-industry-leaders-set-their-sights-on-building-a-greener-future-38047447.html
- Recticel rejects Kingspan takeover bid https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/recticel-rejects-kingspan-takeover-bid
- UK Construction – why’s the sector creaking so badly? https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/uk-construction-whys-the-sector-creaking-so-badly
- Ronan plans €350m residential development for Docklands https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/ronan-plans-350m-residential-development-for-docklands-1.3873045?mode=amp
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- Are you an Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business? If so, please take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORS and to keep up-to-date on all things tech and innovation for the planning, construction and property industries, head over to http://www.prop-tech.ie. Also, we are on a mission to get every Irish construction and property technology business registered on the global proptech database UNISSU. More details here:https://prop-tech.ie/global-proptech-data-platform-unissu-com-is-launched/
- Permanent TSB opens up to fintechs with new API portal https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/permanent-tsb-opens-up-to-fintechs-with-new-api-portal-1.3867427?mode=amp
- AUGMENTED REALITY (AR) FOR PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT:
- Can PropTech Dream Big Enough For VC Investors? https://www.bisnow.com/london/news/technology/as-fifth-wall-raises-468m-can-proptech-dream-big-enough-for-vc-investors-98638#ath
- Eye-in-the-sky to police construction sites https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/eye-in-the-sky-to-police-construction-sites
- Filling The Knowledge Gap: TenantSee Gives Tenants Data, Insight For Leasing Decisions https://www.bisnow.com/san-francisco/news/technology/filling-the-knowledge-gap-tenantsee-gives-tenants-data-insight-for-leasing-decisions-98580#ath
- Real Estate as a service: all change, all change https://www.globalrealestateexperts.com/2019/04/real-estate-a-service-all-change-all-change/?
- Proptech start-up BestBid raises £500k • PrimeResi https://primeresi.com/proptech-start-up-bestbid-raises-500k/
- Behind The Scenes At The Government’s New PropTech Incubator https://dealmakerz.co.uk/behind-the-scenes-governments-new-proptech-incubator/
- Purplebricks is hugely successful despite tumbling share price says analyst
- Or…Forget PropTech and portals … For Sale boards are still the best https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/4/forget-proptech-and-portals—–for-sale-boards-are-still-the-best
- Top Tips for BIM Beginners https://www.archdaily.com/914513/top-tips-for-bim-beginners
- PropTech Today: Do’s & Don’ts of transformation -… https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/4/proptech-today-dos–and–donts-of-market-transformation–countrywide-and-foxtons
- More PropTech pledged after management buy-out of Lettings business … https://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/4/more-proptech-pledged-after-management-buy-out-of-lettings-business
- New tech platform aims to ‘make the property industry more accessible’ for graduates • PrimeResi https://primeresi.com/new-tech-platform-aims-to-make-the-property-industry-more-accessible-for-graduates/
- PropTech should free agents to meet customers ‘not lead to fewer jobs’
- Proptech Primer: Trends In Real Estate Technology https://proptech.cioreview.com/cioviewpoint/proptech-primer-trends-in-real-estate-technology-nid-28524-cid-208.html
- Proptech aims to move from buzzword to industry philosophy – Finance & Commerce https://finance-commerce.com/2019/04/proptech-aims-to-move-from-buzzword-to-industry-philosophy/
- Why P&G Ventures May Be A Better Option For Startups Than Traditional VC Firms https://www.forbes.com/sites/kimberlywhitler/2019/04/27/why-pg-ventures-may-be-a-better-option-for-startups-than-traditional-vc-firms/amp/
- How to Add Interactive AR Characters to Your Videos with Google Camera https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/add-interactive-ar-characters-your-videos-with-google-camera-0195515/
New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
Crowd-sourcing answers topical property questions:
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded in 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
From 2019, the publishers and I want to ensure the content remains topical and we are doing this by crowd-sourcing home buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/