Apologies, the Business section of my edition of The Sunday Times today is AWOL (newsagent error, not published due to holidays..?). Before we get stuck into the general property news of the week, below are a few local and international stories that might be of particular interest:
- Mapped: The Countries With the Highest Housing Bubble Risks https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mapped-the-countries-with-the-highest-housing-bubble-risks/ (image above )
- Like guessing the number of pebbles in a jar, there’s a prize for guessing the number of inaccuracies in this article … ‘No, of course you shouldn’t need a degree to show someone round a house’ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/15/no-course-shouldnt-need-degree-show-someone-round-house/amp/
- Huge fine for estate agency after data breach https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/7/huge-fine-for-estate-agency-after-data-breach
- No Room Of Her Own: The Truth About The Gender Housing Gap https://www.refinery29.com/amp/en-gb/2019/07/237953/womens-budget-group-housing-report
- Housing and a dysfunctional market https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/housing-and-a-dysfunctional-market-1.3960543?mode=amp
- A New Law in Portugal Makes Housing a Right | Pacific Standard https://psmag.com/.amp/social-justice/portugal-instates-a-not-so-basic-housing-law
- The rise of the middle‑aged first‑time buyer https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-rise-of-the-middle-aged-first-time-buyer-w0mzz38cs
- Paddy McKillen jnr, the mystery man of Dublin nightlife https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/paddy-mckillen-jnr-the-mystery-man-of-dublin-nightlife-1.3960320?mode=amp
- *Dublin’s College Green will be pedestrianised today* – these diversions will be in place https://www.thejournal.ie/college-green-traffic-free-sunday-4731109-Jul2019/?amp=1
- Do Irish estate agents have an opinion about this happening on Daft or MyHome??? ‘Agent queries Rightmove ‘advert’ which asks for ‘more properties like this’ https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/agent-queries-rightmove-advert-which-touts-for-more-properties-like-this/
If you missed last week’s round-up, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice-to-text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
#PropertyMatters Ireland’s First Weekly Property Radio Show (& Podcast!):
Ireland’s first weekly property radio show, Property Matters, launched In January 2019 on Dublin South FM 93.9 and is now available internationally via iTunes and Spotify podcast (@iPropertyRadio). Seasoned political journalist and broadcaster, Bryan Fox, and I (Carol Tallon) team up to deliver 60 minutes of industry chat with guests from the areas of planning, construction, property and proptech. Produced by Katie Tallon of Hear Me Roar Media.
In the iPropertyRadio studio for Property Matters this week:
- Damian Brennan, CEO and founder of WikiBuild (http://wikibuild.com)
- AARON O’Grady, founder of Vision Creative Studio (https://www.vision-creativestudios.com/home)
- Craig Mulcahy, founder of ConstructionBOS (https://constructionbos.com)
*Listen back to all #PropertyMatters episodes here: https://anchor.fm/ipropertyradio
Email the Property Matters team at hello@iPropertyRadio.com
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- Commuting in Ireland [OC] – https://www.reddit.com/r/MapPorn/comments/b1dff8/commuting_in_ireland_oc/
- ‘Streets are for the people’: Dublin street blocked by protesters as part of ‘car-free’ demonstration https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-south-william-street-car-free-protest-4732502-Jul2019/?amp=1
- Anti-terror bollards included in plans for northside Dublin civic plaza https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/anti-terror-bollards-included-in-plans-for-northside-dublin-civic-plaza-1.3956408?mode=amp
- Why urban planners should pay attention to restaurant-review sites http://news.mit.edu/2019/urban-planners-restaurant-neighborhood-0715
- Make a move to Dublin’s secret sought-after streets https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/make-a-move-to-dublin-s-secret-sought-after-streets-1.3957104?mode=amp
- Cherry blossom trees planted ‘in silly places’ being cut down in Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cherry-blossom-trees-planted-in-silly-places-being-cut-down-in-dublin-1.3960865?mode=amp#.XTF25cnoYAI.twitter
- Campaigners slam Cork docklands plan https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/campaigners-slam-cork-docklands-plan-938248.html
- Halt sought for all ‘green’ planning approvals until guidelines given https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/halt-sought-for-all-green-planning-approvals-until-guidelines-given/
- Kilkenny, Carlow and other South East counties performing well according to a new report https://kclr96fm.com/kilkenny-carlow-and-other-south-east-counties-performing-well-according-to-a-new-report/
- Significantly, London officials ban segregated play areas in future housing developments: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jul/19/london-officials-ban-segregated-play-areas-in-future-housing-developments
- In the Sunday Independent today, Brendan Slattery, head of environment and planning at McCann FitzGerald asks the question: ‘Are our planning laws failing us just when we need them most?’. This comes after a recent spate of poor planning outcomes, including Cairn Homes’ failed application for 217 homes in Blackrock due to non-inclusion of the latest version of a report on bat activity.
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – Property developers and project owners ready Public Consultation are encouraged to contact the PLACEengage team for full details*
OTHER PROPERTY NEWS
- One of the lead stories in the Sunday Independent reads that the Housing Agency has “launched High Court action to stop performance and governance reviews of housing associations from being made public”. The reasoning behind this appears to be that mandatory regulation has not yet come into effect for AHBs (due later this year). It will be interesting to see how this progresses. AHBs have been tasked with delivering and managing one-third of all the social housing in Ireland by 2021 so this is an important sector to get right and the gap between those AHBs that are doing it well – and those that are not – is demonstrably widening.
- The lead business story in the Independent today reports that ‘Dunnes Stores moves on vacant sites after retailers’ backlash: Irish group now selling or leasing several vacant sites in key town locations’.
- Also in the Independent, Louise McBride has a feature ‘How to stay in the letting game without flouting new rent laws’. In reality, I am not sure how helpful the information is ie. rent for longer, home share (?) and “steer clear of RPZs” – which now contain two-thirds of all rental stock in the country… I think experienced landlords can give this a miss.
- In The Sunday Business Post, Hannah O’Brien asks an excellent question, that is, ‘In this time of crisis, why are our talented young architects not being asked to design public housing?’. It is a great point, we are definitely in need to new ideas and thinking, and not just about delivery – we need innovative design and construction materials/methods etc.
- Roisin Burke writes ‘No sign of Project Eagle landing yet’ in relation to the controversial €1.4bn Nama loan book that will be offered to the market this year.
- Also in The Sunday Business Post today, TCD is seeking an exemption from local property tax in an attempt to reduce the cost of student accommodation. A cynic might wonder if such a tax break would actually result in reduced costs of students and/or their parents…
- The Ikea prefabs are packed and ready but who’ll assemble the mortgages? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-ikea-prefabs-are-packed-and-ready-but-wholl-assemble-the-mortgages-kmsbc5r9x
- BoI offers ‘green mortgage’ discount https://amp-irishexaminer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/boi-offers-green-mortgage-discount-937758.html
- All cashed up but nowhere to live – renters squeezed by Dublin’s housing supply crisis https://www.domain.com.au/news/all-cashed-up-but-nowhere-to-live-renters-squeezed-by-dublins-housing-supply-crisis-859401/amp/
- Still seeking the right mix in Dublin’s rental market https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/still-seeking-the-right-mix-in-dublin-s-rental-market-1.3959096?mode=amp
- One in six mortgage holders are switching providers https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/one-in-six-mortgage-holders-are-switching-providers-1.3956369
- Boost for first-time buyers as help-to-buy scheme set to be extended in the Budget – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/boost-for-firsttime-buyers-as-helptobuy-scheme-set-to-be-extended-in-the-budget-38320377.html
- Why Can’t You Afford a Home? https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/why-can-t-you-afford-a-home-1.3730413?mode=amp
- Eoghan Murphy hits out at critics of ‘trendy’ co-living suggestion for young people https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eoghan-murphy-hits-out-at-critics-of-trendy-co-living-suggestion-for-young-people-938077.html
- In the Sunday Independent today, Michael Cogley quotes Bartra chief executive Mike Flannery as saying that co-living is now being criticised by politicians “aiming to win seats in the European elections”. There is a separate feature on page 5 of the Business section on co-living.
- The same journalist quotes the Government’s own high-level tax strategy group in concluding that ‘Block-buying necessary to support apartment developments’.
- Leading university launches housing aimed only at LGBT students – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/leading-university-launches-housing-aimed-only-at-lgbt-students-38326698.html
- Banks offer average of €194,000 to people who lost homes due to tracker mortgage scandal https://www.thejournal.ie/tracker-mortgage-scandal-14-4726254-Jul2019/
- Big investors pour €615m into Dublin private rented sector in second quarter https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/big-investors-pour-615m-into-dublin-private-rented-sector-in-second-quarter-1.3958304?mode=amp
- Number of new homes built in Dublin drops by 17% – Goodbody https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/number-of-new-homes-built-in-dublin-drops-by-17-goodbody-1.3960386?mode=amp
- Tetrarch sells 84 apartments to social housing body https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/tetrarch-sells-84-apartments-to-social-housing-body-1.3959107?mode=amp
- Carmelite lands in south Dublin set to be sold for up to €35m https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/carmelite-lands-in-south-dublin-set-to-be-sold-for-up-to-35m-1.3958407?mode=amp
- Demolition of Sextant will have to meet planning regulations https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Demolition-of-Sextant-will-have-to-meet-planning-regulations-a4d54bf5-0ac9-43e7-9548-706d5bfafa18-ds
- Planning permission granted for Wicklow data centre https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0719/1064061-data-centre/
- Hibernia Reit puts climate plan into action at Windmill Lane offices https://www-irishtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/hibernia-reit-puts-climate-plan-into-action-at-windmill-lane-offices-1.3953627?mode=amp
- Planning firm sees profits soar to €474k – Independent.ie https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/planning-firm-sees-profits-soar-to-474k-38319395.html
- Site accidents down but work still to do, Construction Industry Federation say https://amp-irishexaminer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/site-accidents-down-but-work-still-to-do-construction-industry-federation-say-938054.html
- UK perspective: Freedom is the answer to our housing crisis https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/20/freedom-answer-housing-crisis/amp/
- More contractors suspended from Prompt Payment Code | Construction Enquirer https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/07/17/more-contractors-suspended-from-prompt-payment-code/
- Murphy tumbles into loss for 2018 https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/murphy-tumbles-into-loss-for-2018
THE AGILE AGENT
GETTING IRELAND’S PROPERTY MARKETPLACE DIGITAL BY DEFAULT
The Agile Agent is a 12-month digital transformation programme for independent Irish estate agents and auctioneers, which runs from September – August. This programme will be delivered by a multi-disciplinary Irish and UK team and will go beyond proptech adoption to help agents get their industry digital by default.
Q3. March – May 2019 Agile Agent check-in now available HERE:
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
*SIGN UP HERE *
PROPTECH AND CONSTRUCTION INNOVATION
- From smart design and planning right through to the smart property transaction, where does your Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business sit? Pease take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP HERE: *PROPTECH INNOVATORS and STARTUPS *
- PropTech Is Getting Its Own Angel Investing Group | Propmodo https://www.propmodo.com/proptech-is-getting-its-own-angel-investing-group/
- Council Post: Early Adopters Of Proptech In CRE Will Be The Big Winners https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesrealestatecouncil/2019/07/15/early-adopters-of-proptech-in-cre-will-be-the-big-winners/amp/
- Germans research earth block masonry for housing https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/germany-begins-research-into-earth-block-masonry-for-housing
- Fifth Wall Ventures Raises $503M To Invest In Real Estate Tech https://news.crunchbase.com/news/fifth-wall-ventures-raises-503m-to-invest-in-real-estate-tech/
- Five mobile proptech trends to watch this summer | ITProPortal https://www.itproportal.com/features/five-mobile-proptech-trends-to-watch-this-summer/
- Rightmove fails to understand first rule of innovation:
- Merging Proptech: Honest Buildings Acquired by Procore | GlobeSt https://www.globest.com/2019/07/17/merging-proptech-honest-buildings-acquired-by-procore/
- Cushman & Wakefield teams up with proptech VC firm | Seeking Alpha https://seekingalpha.com/news/3478369-cushman-and-wakefield-teams-proptech-vc-firm
- Women At CBRE North West Are Industry Trailblazers | Business Up North https://www.businessupnorth.co.uk/women-at-cbre-north-west-are-industry-trailblazers/
- Proptech Start Up Secures Funding to Benchmark Wellbeing in Cities https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/neighbourlytics-secures-seed-funding
NEW FACEBOOK GROUP FOR IRISH PROPERTY BUYERS & INVESTORS
Crowd-sourcing answers topical property questions:
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded in 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
From 2019, the publishers and I want to ensure the content remains topical and we are doing this by crowd-sourcing home buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/