If you missed last week’s round-up, you can catch up here: https://propertydistrict.ie/category/sunday-property-review/
- I am delighted to chair this CitA Ltd Technology Trends session next Wednesday morning in Dublin.
It will likely be of interest to anyone involved in the design and/or build of real estate:
CitA Technology Trend Series: ‘AI-enabled Building Systems’ Free event Wednesday morning, 8.15am at BOI Workbench, Grand Canal https://prop-tech.ie/cita-tech-trends-ai-enabled-building-systems/
Before we get stuck into the general property news of the week, below are a few local and international stories that might be of particular interest:
- 10 ways cities are tackling the global affordable housing crisis https://bigthink.com/affordable-housing-2638763155.amp.html
- These Old Double Deckers Are Being Turned Into Homeless Shelters | Londonist (pictured above) https://londonist.com/london/latest-news/these-old-double-deckers-are-being-turned-into-homeless-shelters
- Changes to the rules around short-term lettings: ow.ly/QULd30oSKcs
- The Construction Industry Has a Problem. Women Are Going to Solve It – Architizer Journal https://architizer.com/blog/inspiration/stories/construction-industry-problem-women-going-solve/#.XQDJRcuJmmk.twitter
- Property age gap is getting bigger https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/property-age-gap-is-getting-bigger-vdctt9xqm
- Why Housing Policy Feels Like Generational Warfare https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/591532/
As always, you might let me know if I have missed out on any relevant property news by emailing email@example.com.
(Apologies in advance for any typos, it’s difficult to get good help on a Sunday. Also, I use voice to text dictation so just sound out anything that really doesn’t make sense in a strong rural accent and that should help!)
#PropertyMatters Ireland’s First Weekly Property Radio Show (& Podcast!):
Ireland’s first weekly property radio show, Property Matters, launched In January 2019 on Dublin South FM 93.9 and is now available internationally via iTunes and Spotify podcast (@iPropertyRadio). Seasoned political journalist and broadcaster, Bryan Fox, and I (Carol Tallon) team up to deliver 60 minutes of industry chat with guests from the areas of planning, construction, property and proptech. Produced by Katie Tallon of Hear Me Roar Media.
On #PropertyMatters this week we were joined in studio by estate agent Brian McCarthy, industry recruiter Philip Pelucha and clinical hypnotherapist Fiachra Morrison to discuss the national property market, why proptech will not replace agents, competing to attract the top industry talent and, vitally, the issue of stress within the construction industry.
Produced by Katie Tallon (email the team: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Listen back to this episode here: https://anchor.fm/ipropertyradio/episodes/Property-Matters–June-11th-2019-e4b0
Email the Property Matters team at hello@iPropertyRadio.com
Public Consultation and Community Engagement
- Placemaking Week Europe 2019
3D Data Hack and the release of the Dublin Docklands 3D Model as Open Data | Building City Dashboards https://dashboards.maynoothuniversity.ie/2019/06/12/3d-data-hack-and-the-release-of-the-dublin-docklands-3d-model-as-open-data/ #placemaking
- If the UK turns property planning over to local ‘juries’, will Ireland follow suit? | PLACEengage #placemaking https://placeengage.com/if-the-uk-turns-property-planning-over-to-local-juries-will-ireland-follow-suit/
- Technology has changed the way our towns and cities work. Find out how #PlanTech is about to change how we plan them…
- McKillen jnr’s Oakmount gets green light for 291 new homes in south Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/mckillen-jnr-s-oakmount-gets-green-light-for-291-new-homes-in-south-dublin-1.3923598?mode=amp
- Another 500 houses and apartments planned for Naas https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/423082/another-500-houses-and-apartments-planned-for-naas.html
- Apartments overlooking graveyard in Dublin get green light despite concerns mourners will be ‘robbed of their privacy’ https://www.thejournal.ie/cemetery-planning-permission-4676082-Jun2019/?amp=1
- Plans for almost 1,000 Dublin homes in three developments lodged under fast-track system: If given the go-ahead, a total of 920 homes would be built in Howth, Fingal and Palmerstown.
*PLACEengage: The future of speedy, successful placemaking for property developers is here – Property developers and project owners ready Public Consultation are encouraged to contact the PLACEengage team for full details*
Other Property News
- In The Sunday Independent, Alan O’Keefe reports that “far more trees” are likely to be removed to make way for proposed new Bus Connects routes. The figure previously estimated was 500-1,000, however, there are 4,700 trees along these routes so 1,000 now appears to be too low an estimate. In The Sunday Times, planner Dr. Diarmuid O’Grada also writes about this in his weekly column, highlighting the environmental benefits to keeping the trees.
- The leading property story in the Business section of the Independent today reports that the Revenue Commissioners is apparently considering a ‘compliance project’ aimed at Airbnb hosts. This is not entirely unexpected but we may wait to see what shape it takes.
- Also in the Independent, Michael Cogley reports on the risk of developers reneging on social housing agreements – however, my reading of this is that this purchase process is the same as the usual process, where nothing is legally binding until contracts are exchanged (which happens at a ridiculously late stage).
- Fearghal O’Connor reports that AIB has agreed to provide facilities to Home for Life to purchase up to 3,000 homes for homeowners struggling to stay in their homes (mortgage-to-rent).
- US-based Marathon Asset Management is reportedly selling 815 homes to Ires
Reit for €285m (€14.2m annual rent-roll).
- Developer Pat Crean is reportedly in consultation with An Bord Pleanala to build 512 new homes, four commercial units and a creche on the former Techrete site, on the seafront in Howth.
- In The Sunday Times today, Gavin Daly reports that Nama is finally set to start work on the controversial Glass Bottle site at Poolbeg in Dublin and three of Ireland’s biggest developers (Glenveagh, Ardstone and Cairn) are looking to build 12,00 new homes in County Kildare.
- Nick Webb writes about the continuing opposition Richard Barrett (Bartra Capital Property) faced with his coliving schemes – proposed for Dun Laoghaire, Castleknock, Tallaght and Rathmines.
- Ian Guider in The Sunday Business Post reports that Irish Institutional Property – a new lobby group for some of Ireland’s largest property firms – is due to formally launch next week. Board members include Kevin Nowlan (Hibernia Reit), Simon Betty (Hammerson) and Caroline McCarthy (Green REIT).
- Also in the SBP, Killian Woods reports that the Land Development Agency has secured only one additional site since its establishment in September 2018. It will now be 2020 before any new homes are expected to be delivered to the market.
- There is a genuinely great pull-out feature in the SBP today: Cork 2019, looking at the infrastructure of the city, the new boundary expansion, the re-development of Horgan’s Quay and an overview of the tech and startup scene. Definitely worth a read today!
- In the Property section of the SBP it is reported that the latest JLL research identifies Dublin as one of the global leading cities in terms of innovation, which will come as no surprise to anyone watching or participating in the thriving proptech sector.
- Myhome.ie research shows where people are buying homes: Dublin and Leinster continue to dominate the Irish property market https://www.rte.ie/amp/1055161/
- First-time buyers lose as banks fail to use all mortgage exemptions – Independent.ie https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/firsttime-buyers-lose-as-banks-fail-to-use-all-mortgage-exemptions-38211318.html
- Trying to get a mortgage? Best to be in a couple, with a substantial deposit https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/trying-to-get-a-mortgage-best-to-be-in-a-couple-with-a-substantial-deposit-1.3922553?mode=amp
- TheJournal.ie – Mortgage rates in Ireland are still one of the highest in Europe https://www.thejournal.ie/mortgage-rates-ireland-2-4683801-Jun2019/?amp=1
- Number of mortgages in long-term arrears rises https://www.rte.ie/amp/1055141/
- Local Property Tax reforms won’t mean bigger bills for many households – Finance Minister – Independent.ie https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/local-property-tax-reforms-wont-mean-bigger-bills-for-many-households-finance-minister-38210357.html
- Number of homes liable for property tax to increase – Independent.ie https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/number-of-homes-liable-for-property-tax-to-increase-38210993.html
- Fair Deal scheme change to include farms and businesses https://www.rte.ie/amp/1054633/
- Landlords unwilling to accept housing assistance payment, say homeless families https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/landlords-unwilling-to-accept-housing-assistance-payment-say-homeless-families-1.3924733?mode=amp
- Dublin evictions: ‘These new owners, they don’t see us as people’ https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-evictions-these-new-owners-they-don-t-see-us-as-people-1.3925089?mode=amp
- New ideas needed in housing debate, architect says https://amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-ideas-needed-in-housing-debate-architect-says-930955.html
- Construction activity growth eases to four-month low https://www.rte.ie/amp/1054449/
- Yet…. Construction industry’s turnover up by 25% last year https://www.rte.ie/amp/1054861/
- Leaving Cert construction studies: Sustainability a major theme on paper https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-construction-studies-sustainability-a-major-theme-on-paper-1.3926103?mode=amp
- How big landlords in Ireland minimise their tax bills on rental properties https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/how-big-landlords-in-ireland-minimise-their-tax-bills-on-rental-properties-1.3917078?mode=amp
- Government planned to spend €200m on mortgage scheme in 3 years. It paid out €50m in just 3 months https://www.thejournal.ie/rebuilding-ireland-home-loan-4681353-Jun2019/
- Minister expected to make ‘significant’ announcement regarding Rebuilding Ireland home loan scheme https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/minister-expected-to-make-significant-announcement-regarding-rebuilding-ireland-home-loan-scheme-930145.html
- South Dublin council targets luxury scheme for social housing https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/south-dublin-council-targets-luxury-scheme-for-social-housing-1.3926235?mode=amp
- TheJournal.ie – Public sector hoovering up office space in capital as it’s becoming Dublin’s fastest growing employer https://www.thejournal.ie/public-sector-jobs-4677063-Jun2019/?amp=1
- Nama sells its stake in Capital Dock development in Dublin https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/nama-sells-its-stake-in-capital-dock-development-in-dublin-1.3923095?mode=amp
- Turnover at Ireland’s top 50 construction firms tops €8bn https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/turnover-at-ireland-s-top-50-construction-firms-tops-8bn-1.3922522?mode=amp
- Growth of public sector proves key driver of Dublin office market https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/growth-of-public-sector-proves-key-driver-of-dublin-office-market-1.3922087?mode=amp
- South Dublin residential development site ready to go at €6m:
Plot measuring 3.2 acres in Blackrock has planning permission for 46 homes
- Mapletree confirms €240m purchase of Marlet office scheme https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/mapletree-confirms-240m-purchase-of-marlet-office-scheme-1.3922109?mode=amp
- TheJournal.ie – Construction has started on the building frame of the National Children’s Hospital https://www.thejournal.ie/national-childrens-hospital-4-4677879-Jun2019/?amp=1
- Worker killed by remote-controlled crane | Construction Enquirer https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/06/12/worker-killed-by-remote-controlled-crane/
- Kier axes plan to charge subcontractors to work with them | Construction Enquirer https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/06/11/kier-axes-plan-to-charge-subcontractors-to-work-with-them/
- 10 Must Reads for CRE Investors on June 12, 2019 | National Real Estate Investor https://www.nreionline.com/nrei-wire/10-must-reads-cre-industry-today-june-12-2019
The Agile Agent
Getting Ireland’s Property Marketplace Digital by Default
The Agile Agent is a 12-month digital transformation programme for independent Irish estate agents and auctioneers, which runs from September – August. This programme will be delivered by a multi-disciplinary Irish and UK team and will go beyond proptech adoption to help agents get their industry digital by default.
Q3. March – May 2019 Agile Agent check-in now available HERE:
To get involved and for free Proptech Prompts, please
Proptech and Construction Innovation
- From smart design and planning right through to the smart transaction, where does your Irish-led or Ireland-based #proptech business sit? Pease take five minutes to add or update your details to our internationally-shared listing here: SIGN UP: PROPTECH INNOVATORS and STARTUPS
- CitA Technology Trend Series: ‘AI-enabled Building Systems’ Free event Wednesday morning, 8.15am at BOI Workbench, Grand Canal https://prop-tech.ie/cita-tech-trends-ai-enabled-building-systems/
- Permanent Noise Monitoring System Market Growth And Key Players Insights: Featuring Sonitus Systems – Best Daily Times https://bestdailytimes.com/permanent-noise-monitoring-system-market-growth-and-key-players-insights-bruel-kjaer-acoem-svantek-ava-monitoring/
- Great news: Dublin phone boxes could be replaced with digital kiosks https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/dublin-phone-boxes-could-be-replaced-with-digital-kiosks-1.3923297?mode=amp
- Spacemaker raises $25 million to power urban construction projects with AI https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/09/spacemaker-raises-25-million-to-power-urban-construction-projects-with-ai/amp/
- VC Panel Debate: TechConnect 2019:
‘If you need advice, ask for money, but if you need money, ask for advice’
- What Our First Year Investing in PropTech Has Told Us About the German & European PropTech Landscape | Propmodo https://www.propmodo.com/what-our-first-year-investing-in-proptech-has-told-us-about-the-german-european-proptech-landscape/
- For startups: He Sold His First Startup To Yahoo, His Second One To Google And Now His Third Is Worth $500 Million https://www.forbes.com/sites/alejandrocremades/2019/06/13/he-sold-his-first-startup-to-yahoo-his-second-one-to-google-and-now-his-third-is-worth-500-million/amp/
- Real Estate And Construction Gets Futuristic Help : Real Estate : Business Times https://en.businesstimes.cn/articles/113720/20190614/real-estate-and-construction-gets-futuristic-help.htm
- Viewpoint: Why we need PropTech — now more than ever – Baltimore Business Journal https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/06/11/viewpoint-why-we-need-proptech-now-more-than-ever.html
- Proptech firm clinches ‘biggest IoT real esta… | propertyEU https://propertyeu.info/Nieuws/Proptech-firm-clinches-biggest-IoT-real-estate-deal-to-date/50d54b97-8e5e-43bc-91fd-bd5a5cbf273a
- Home Survey Standard: early support for RICS’ survey initiative
- To keep up-to-date on all things tech and innovation for the planning, construction and property industries, head over to http://www.prop-tech.ie
- PropTech firm offers agents ‘most important service since dawn of internet’ https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/6/start-up-says-its-service-to-agents-most-important-since-dawn-of-internet
- Buy-to-let: the tech that makes property investment easy https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/buy-to-letthe-tech-makes-property-investment-easy/amp/
- PropTech Today: now is the time to understand blockchain https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2019/6/proptech-today-now-is-the-time-to-understand-blockchain
- Data-Driven Collaboration Targets Commercial/Industrial Property Portfolios With Energy Intelligence – EIN News https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/487077281/data-driven-collaboration-targets-commercial-industrial-property-portfolios-with-energy-intelligence
- The Multibillion-Dollar Problem Of Weak Cybersecurity in Real Estate https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelicakrystledonati/2019/06/12/the-multibillion-dollar-problem-of-weak-cybersecurity-in-real-estate/amp/
New Facebook Group for Irish Property Buyers & Investors
Crowd-sourcing answers topical property questions:
As many of you might know, my annual property book The Irish Property Buyers’ Handbook (since 2011) was rebranded in 2018 and will now appear as part of The Property Insider series, published by Oak Tree Press, the first three titles are now published and available here.
From 2019, the publishers and I want to ensure the content remains topical and we are doing this by crowd-sourcing home buyer and investor queries, with crowd-sourced and editorial team answers. Join the Facebook Group here to contribute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IrishPropertyBuyers/